Windshield Washer Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyTruckIsBetter

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Hey all, Wanted to do a little bit of a writeup on my 1984 GMC C1500 windshield washer pump rebuild because I couldn't seem to find all of the info online in one place.

For those who are just trying to solve a leak and are not sure what soft goods to buy (seals and other consumables) I would highly recommend the following Kit from Rock Auto: ACI 172358

All of the seals are included even the piston seal! There are also replacement plastic housings with rubber check valves installed. I did not end up using the new plastic pieces because my check valves look good but if you aren't a fan of the new shiny bright plastic pieces you can carefully remove the check valve rubber bits and install the fresh ones into your old plastic housing. This kit should stop most folks from leaking wiper fluid.

For those that are having mechanical wiper problems: Wipers always spray fluid no matter what setting, or your wipers do not shoot any spray....

The first (Hopefully easy step) is to verify mechanically that everything is there :) check out these resources for spring placement, and for a VIDEO on how it works. All of the old stiff grease must be cleaned out of the wiper pump and cam assembly even a small chunk of smoo will stop the mechanism from working properly. The video I linked goes into good detail on how to disassemble everything. After re-assembly with fresh grease everything should function pretty smoothly if your problem persists it may be time to begin tightening up those springs. The springs that may need adjustment after 40+ years are the torsion spring within the plastic cam and the larger retaining springs that tension the puller arm.

For me, I found that my Torsion spring within the cam was just too soft and the puller arm would grab it but the spring wouldn't turn the cam accordingly. Since then I have re-bent the torsion spring to try and remedy the problem with no luck and now I am working to 3D print the part to use a snap ring and no torsion spring I'll keep you posted if it works haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo