Will Headers work with TBI and older engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT58

Reaction score
First Name
JT
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have an 87 Chevy Squarebody short bed 4 X 4, SM 465 manual 4 speed I have mostly restored as a good driver/cars n coffee meet truck. It is somewhat of a restomod- it has a 1974 Monte-Carlo or Chevelle 350 with factory 87 TBI and electronics. It has stock exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust. It runs excellent as it is- starts right up and runs the same every time. I was wondering if adding headers would be an improvement in performance? Will headers work with the TBI and this engine- there is really no adjustment for the TBI- at least that I am aware of. I would have to mate the headers to the existing dual exhaust so it would be a bit of work involved.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have a set of pace setter headers made for the TBI trucks.
I have not installed them yet as I have about a billion other things to do before that becomes a reality.
But I have them....
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Super thick flanges and they look to be a direct bolt on in place of the stock manifolds.
If you don't have to deal with DEQ emissions on your truck, I would find a set of long tubes for it and modify your current exhaust to work.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Honestly, shorty headers are a waste 9 times out of 10. There's not much in the way of gains to be had. Like @Catbox said, longtubes are the way to go if you don't have to worry about emissions. You'll gain both torque and horsepower with them.

To be perfectly honest though, it sounds like you've got a sweetheart of a mild engine there. You'll only see a mild gain, even with the longtubes. What you'll get in return will be heat, noise and possible manifold gasket issues. If the truck runs good as is and you're not building a hotrod, I'd make an argument to leave it alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lfuqua20