What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Refurbished my Craftsman 328.12020 2.25 ton floor jack, made in the '70s. Heavy duty, made in Japan model, $49 repair kit and 9 hours of labor spread over 3 days. This thing is heavy and has lots of tiny springs, balls, seals, washers and is well machined on the insides. Old oil was amber, new oil is clear. I tried to use it recently and it lifted, then bled down quickly. I think the rubber piston cup was worn out. After reassembly it pumped up and it's staying up. Just have to lift the end of a vehicle as make sure it holds as intended. (I'm getting too old for this stuff):
You must be registered for see images attach

Old parts replaced:

And no oil drips on the floor after 2 days.
UPDATE: jacked up the rear end of the truck, it stayed rock steady for one hour so I consider it fixed good!

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Built one of these setups - some have probably seen it online. FWIW...any vids you see on this setup, pay no attention to their measurements as your shop vac is probably different.

Idea is the dust 'cyclone' swirls the debris around, with air being light - it passes on while the particles drop into the bucket. When you're done, the bucket is full and the shop vac (and its filter) are untouched. Like a catch can for dirt. I tried it with drywall dust and it was UFB. Not a spec in the vac. I picked up an Eastwood dustless sander to pair with it - that works amazing but how they advertise it, it all goes into the shop vac....and plugs/destroys the ($30) filter in 1-2 uses. Really interested in how this works with the cyclone.

I’ve been tempted to build something like this for my blast cabinet. Without a vac line hooked it gets so dusty to see what you’re doing. With a vac hooked up it just about kills the vacuum because the filter gets plugged immediately.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m currently looking at lifts. I’m choosing between Mohawk and Challenger CL series. They are the only two actual American made lifts I can find.
I was finally able to get a lift ordered. Tons of back and forth with various companies claiming made in USA. From what I can tell, Mohawk is the only actual US made lift. Others are just bolted together here with foreign produced parts. I’m not paying a premium to someone being cryptic about their definition of made in USA.

Is it a shame that you can’t buy a reasonably priced lift made here? Yeah…but I’m not paying what Mohawk wants. They are crazy pricey, like $15,000-18,000 pricey.

I ended up with an ALI certified AMGO. I liked the arms on the AMGO. They said it’ll ship third week of June. Long wait, but will be a dream once it’s in use.

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
I was finally able to get a lift ordered. Tons of back and forth with various companies claiming made in USA. From what I can tell, Mohawk is the only actual US made lift. Others are just bolted together here with foreign produced parts. I’m not paying a premium to someone being cryptic about their definition of made in USA.

Is it a shame that you can’t buy a reasonably priced lift made here? Yeah…but I’m not paying what Mohawk wants. They are crazy pricey, like $15,000-18,000 pricey.

I ended up with an ALI certified AMGO. I liked the arms on the AMGO. They said it’ll ship third week of June. Long wait, but will be a dream once it’s in use.
2 post or 4? They do come in handy. I have one of each

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy 10k, 12k, or 14k??
Just a 10k. Heaviest vehicle that I’ll ever lift is a bit under 9k.

Although my 75 ford f350 supercab with a 10’ flatbed may be over that. If it goes in the lift, I’ll have to take the flatbed off.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
This weekend was not cheap.

So I'm putting in some gravel and stuff for a parking area that my Bel Air and truck sit.
I wanted to compact the gravel as we put it in and got on the interwebs and found that you can rent them.
Cool.
But for 4 hours you can rent one for $60 or a full day for $100.

Since I don't work that fast, it would be multiple rentals for the project.
That does not make fiscal sense to me as I have this part for the Bel Air we are doing and then a whole other part we have to do where the truck sits.
Enter Harbor Freight and their excellent advertising campaigns.
They had a vibratory plate compactor that was currently on sale for $50 off the $700 price tag.

For that, I could use it when ever I wanted and complete all the tasks I want it for.
Then sell it for $400 when I am done and still be actual money ahead by saving the rental fees.
Plus all the driving back and forth.

Filled the oil and fed it some fuel and then it fired right up on the second pull.

Here is the 1/4 minus all compacted.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
We have also been borrowing a wheelbarrow and rototiller from a friend.
They needed them as this weekend was great out and they had stuff to do.

I so didn't want to buy another one as they are dumb expensive now.
But it will last me longer than the last one I bought that made it over 20 years.
So I found a $50 gift card that I had won from a questionnaire I filled out.
We have a $0.10 per can/bottle return fee and we had recently returned a pile of them to the tune of $50.
So overall, it cost me just a fresh $50 out of my actual pocket and that made it feel less painful.

Max wanted the one with the Gorilla on it, so that is what we picked up for Home Depots price of $150.
It was the same as we borrowed and he gets to continually say, "Bring me the monkey"
So I told him we should name it Harambe.

Here we are all nice and new like.

Before we got started, we moved the table onto the grass and put Harambe under it out of the way.
Max put my drink into it as it was in the shade and the first thing I did was spill it in the new wheelbarrow.
Harambes first haul...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Max wanted the one with the Gorilla on it, so that is what we picked up
Do yourself a favor and spend a few of the dollars you saved on one of Harbor Freight’s flat-free wheelbarrow tires. Wheelbarrows tend to sit unused and forgotten for months (or years) at a time and always seem to have a flat when you need them. If you’ve ever tried to inflate one that has unseated from the rim you know what a pita it can be. The HF tires work well and seem to have the right amount of “bounce” you need when navigating rough terrain. Definitely money well spent to avoid a future headache.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do yourself a favor and spend a few of the dollars you saved on one of Harbor Freight’s flat-free wheelbarrow tires. Wheelbarrows tend to sit unused and forgotten for months (or years) at a time and always seem to have a flat when you need them. If you’ve ever tried to inflate one that has unseated from the rim you know what a pita it can be. The HF tires work well and seem to have the right amount of “bounce” you need when navigating rough terrain. Definitely money well spent to avoid a future headache.
And greaseable wheel ball bearings.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This weekend was not cheap.

So I'm putting in some gravel and stuff for a parking area that my Bel Air and truck sit.
I wanted to compact the gravel as we put it in and got on the interwebs and found that you can rent them.
Cool.
But for 4 hours you can rent one for $60 or a full day for $100.

Since I don't work that fast, it would be multiple rentals for the project.
That does not make fiscal sense to me as I have this part for the Bel Air we are doing and then a whole other part we have to do where the truck sits.
Enter Harbor Freight and their excellent advertising campaigns.
They had a vibratory plate compactor that was currently on sale for $50 off the $700 price tag.

For that, I could use it when ever I wanted and complete all the tasks I want it for.
Then sell it for $400 when I am done and still be actual money ahead by saving the rental fees.
Plus all the driving back and forth.

Filled the oil and fed it some fuel and then it fired right up on the second pull.

Here is the 1/4 minus all compacted.

A light mist of water would cut down on the dust. They make water kits for these that dribble water onto the plate. I am sure something home made could be jerry rigged. Very nice machine you got there.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A light mist of water would cut down on the dust. They make water kits for these that dribble water onto the plate. I am sure something home made could be jerry rigged. Very nice machine you got there.
I pulled the hose out just after I took those photos.
It was 90* outside and the water felt good and kept the dust down.
The 3/4 minus we put out yesterday was far nicer to compact as there was little dust, unlike the 1/4 minus that was the base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68