What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I @$$umed it was the trick where you split a hose and wrap it around a steel line that has a pinhole leak. Clamp it over the hole and you're good. For a while anyway.

I ran my truck like that for several years when the transmission shop left the cooler lines rubbing on the frame. Had to change the patch hoses a couple of times until I finally got around to replacing the damaged pieces of the steel lines.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Finished up reassembly of the dash, it looks nice:
You must be registered for see images attach

Of course, I had to fix the fuel gauge, it did not function after I put the clear cover on, but before the large dash bezel. Turns out I was off target, too high, when putting in the fuel gauge and tipped over the top two retainer clips:

Easy enough to pull them back upright with needle nose pliers and much more carefully put the fuel gauge back in place, works great.

Everything I could reach was cleaned, including the gauge dial faces. I went super gently with just a damp baby wipe and managed to get lots of dust and brown dirt off without seeing any white or orange paint smear. I was very happy with the results. Also touched up the silver highlight circles and rectangles with testor silver model paint. I even bought the correct bezel screws and made sure they went into the proper places with the conical washers and were secured firmly but not too tight.
In my search for the next repair projects, I found the clutch pedal return spring is gone. And I decided to treat myself and ordered $400 worth of door repair parts and new door panels in Saddle color. Will be trying to finish those before the snow hits.
These got to go, they are crumbling:
Looks really good, Larry !.
When I redid my gauges I added a tach and a smaller fuel gauge down to where the clock was on mine.
I put the aluminum gauge bezel on and it keep popping off, so removed it. I like the look of the black better. Repainted the silver rings
around the gauges with a "silver chrome" marker. The old adhesive left an interesting looking pattern after it was painted.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
I would have loved to add the factory tach, but decided it was more than I wanted to try to do before winter hits. Never know about next year though!

3 Ton

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Truck Year
1987-79
Truck Model
K-15 Suburban
Engine Size
I sent the last from weeks ripping out all the factory front A/C and installing the complete heater assy from my 79 parts rig.

I have a gasket and a wiring harness to go. Hours of fun and joy.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Should I bother with some kind of stop seal for the radiator or should I look for a new rad? I will be checking levels and under the truck when cool.
if you've got a radiator shop and it's not plastic tanks, I'd have it fixed if it's on the cheap end (under $100). If you have a decent pricing radiator shop close by, if ur's is gonna cost too much, find a later model that can be fixed and go that route. I've never had a plastic tank radiator, but read too much to want to stick with one that isn't.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
if you've got a radiator shop and it's not plastic tanks, I'd have it fixed if it's on the cheap end (under $100). If you have a decent pricing radiator shop close by, if ur's is gonna cost too much, find a later model that can be fixed and go that route. I've never had a plastic tank radiator, but read too much to want to stick with one that isn't.

I forgot you said there's a good radiator shop in your area. Next time I'm down that way, I've got two radiators that need repairs.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Fairly certain this rad has plastic tanks. It always has kept the truck cool though, even with the reservoir somehow evaporating periodically.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
:rolleyes::confused:Fairly certain this rad has plastic tanks. It always has kept the truck cool though, even with the reservoir somehow evaporating periodically.
I am probably going to go with a Murray from O'Reilly or something like that with a lifetime warranty as Andy, @bucket has suggested. I am also looking through the PO's receipts and trying to get more info to discuss with the garage it always has gone to about this radiator issue and the AC compressor which has been replaced before under warranty apparently...

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I sent the last from weeks ripping out all the factory front A/C and installing the complete heater assy from my 79 parts rig.

I have a gasket and a wiring harness to go. Hours of fun and joy.
I need to do that too, maybe this winter. What did you have in mind for a block off plate for the firewall? I think there’s a few options out there- I know LS Fabrication makes one.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
A bit more detailing under the hood and installed new plug wires on the Blazer. Replaced the plugs a week or so ago when I had the inner fenders out.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I drove it back and forth across the Mississippi Gulf Coast for a week. Lots of pics in the "Events" section of this forum in my Cruisin the Coast 2024 thread.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A bit more detailing under the hood and installed new plug wires on the Blazer. Replaced the plugs a week or so ago when I had the inner fenders out.

I love the choice of valve covers, air cleaner and decals and all that. It's not "correct" for the application, but it just looks right.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I love the choice of valve covers, air cleaner and decals and all that. It's not "correct" for the application, but it just looks right.
Thanks Andy. I went down the “Factory Correct” rabbit hole a ways back with my 69 Boss 302. Expensive trip! My goal with the Blazer is do it my way but still look factory, at least to the majority of folks. Must be close as many folks look at it at shows and comment “I didn’t know they made a Blazer with a 454!”.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Re-dyed the Blazers spare tire cover pretty close to the original Sand color. Wife is making a BLAZER decal for it that should look nice. Looking for an original bracket to mount spare vertically behind rear bench seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echo 53