What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Looks like the front side of the drivers windowpane is totally outside the felt track. I would say that is likely what is stopping it from gliding all the way up. I suppose it has been that way the whole time I have owned it and I didn't realize. Does anyone have a trick to get the felt on to the outside of the glass? Or, I guess, has this happened to any of you all? @Rustisbest I have put lithium grease on the tracks, rollers and moving parts on the regulator. I need to get something for the felt track. I may be getting the Du Pont chain lube you reccomend or some type of air spray lube I have seen before.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
That’d definitely make the winders harder to roll up I think.
I don’t have much experience but when I redid the blue truck and installed new window channel felt I threaded it in down the track with the window mostly down as I recall. I did run the window up n down as I was installing it to be able to get it in. (I never removed the windows or regulators from the truck when I painted it.)
Lots of silicone spray lube was used between the track and felt and the window and felt. I wouldn’t use anything petroleum based. There’s tons of different brand products out there.
Are your window felts old and crusty at all? $60 gets you new felt surrounds and the inside and outside rubber squeegees at the bottom of the window openings. I’d consider replacing if they look anywhere near being original. Mine came out in 69 small pieces even. Yours may not hold up to much pulling and bending etc.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
That’d definitely make the winders harder to roll up I think.
I don’t have much experience but when I redid the blue truck and installed new window channel felt I threaded it in down the track with the window mostly down as I recall. I did run the window up n down as I was installing it to be able to get it in. (I never removed the windows or regulators from the truck when I painted it.)
Lots of silicone spray lube was used between the track and felt and the window and felt. I wouldn’t use anything petroleum based. There’s tons of different brand products out there.
Are your window felts old and crusty at all? $60 gets you new felt surrounds and the inside and outside rubber squeegees at the bottom of the window openings. I’d consider replacing if they look anywhere near being original. Mine came out in 69 small pieces even. Yours may not hold up to much pulling and bending etc.
@Grit dog where did you get your window felt kit?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
@Grit dog where did you get your window felt kit?
I got all the trim stuff thru The Truck Shop (Car and Truck Shop?). Seemed to be the best deal at the time when I was ordering a bunch of stuff. But there are a bunch of suppliers. All the usual places like LMC and some other parts houses.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I got all the trim stuff thru The Truck Shop (Car and Truck Shop?). Seemed to be the best deal at the time when I was ordering a bunch of stuff. But there are a bunch of suppliers. All the usual places like LMC and some other parts houses.
I have ordered through both. I will see what's what.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@JamesSam, @Soundmound mentioned this guy in another thread a while back. I met him in person at the C10s On the Capital show- nice guy. You could send him a message if you’re on the Facespace, apparently he deals in Precision felts which is supposed to be good stuff and it’s who I’m going through when I do mine.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am definitely going to take a look next time I'm in there but I think my tracks are pretty steady. I'm scouring the interweb and trying to brainstom what plastic wedge like tool or plier I could use to get the felt over the side of the window edge and not scratch the glass.

You will need to pull the door panel back off, with the window lowered down all the way. Then remove the bolt that holds the lower rear window track in place. Then you can slide the glass rearward enough to get it wiggled back into the felt on the front track. Then reinstall the rearward track, making sure it is adjusted forward enough that the window can't come back out of the front track.

Basically, the window is supposed to be trapped between the front and rear track. The front one is just where it is, while the rear one is removable and adjustable too. Also, that rear track is known to have the lower mounting bracket break off of it. It is possible to repair it without welding. Just careful placement of a couple 1/8" holes and a couple #8 philips screws can put it back together.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did an accidental battery test as I went out this morning and noticed the dome light was on. From ... last... night ....when I fired her up in the driveway. :eek:

Started right up this morning, though, so I guess it passed the test!

Last edited:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Last night I picked up a plastic wedge set for trim from O'REILLY's. Today I pulled the tarp back enough to check out the door. The tracks are all solid in place. I pulled out one of the plastic wedge/pry bars and pushed down and around on the front felt/track and got a little lip of it over the other side of the glass. I pushed the switch and the window went all the way up easily now that it was in the track. I rolled it up and down several times to make sure it stayed in place, then dry lubed both window channels. I feel like the dad in Christmas Story when he got his major award delivered. Too bad it's raining here for the rest of the week.

Thanks all for talking me through my tears. Next I am talking to my garage about the AC compressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClassicRev