Vintage air vs. stock dilemma???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm looking to redo the air conditioning in my '90 CC. While I've been in a few vehicles with VA systems, I've never been able to see a SxS or before/ after.

The same stock system was used on reg cab, cc, K5, and burbs but burbs got a rear air option. In a reg cab, I wouldn't be too concerned but how well does the properly rebuilt/ replaced stock stuff work in a CC as it's a good amount of space to cool/ heat????

On my K5, it was fairly weak but it was 20yo old at that point.

So now I'm trying to decide between replacing all the stock stuff and doing a compressor upgrade vs. installing a VA system. Pros and cons to both but which will cool better apples to apples? BTW, it's 110 today.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The only reason to do a vintage air system is if it isn't an AC cab to start with. If it is an AC cab and you have all the stock components(or even some of them), you will be far better off just using the stock system. If it is in good condition and charged properly it will freeze you right out of the cab even in temps over 100. When it is over 90 here in Oregon I'll run mine on full for ~5 min and then have to turn it down or it will get too cold. The good thing about where you are is that humidity is so low you can run it at full tilt without having to worry about freezing the evaporator over.

The best thing you can do for your CC is to make sure it is well insulated and good tint on the windows that will reject 100% of the UV. Then run a modern Sanden compressor, parallel flow condenser, and blue orifice tube with an R134 conversion and you'll be gold.

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
I'm interested in this as well. My C30 was a factory air truck, but it hasn't worked in 30+ years; My K30 is a bare bones, non-AC unit. There is a guy in town with 2 late 70's squares, both full custom jobs, & both have the Vintage Air systems. This is the way I plan to go for both of mine. I figure all of the factory AC components will need to be replaced due to age, & by the time I sourced everything, I'd probably be close to the cost of the VA system. If nothing else, it really cleans up the looks under the hood.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
A properly rehabbed stock system will blow any aftermarket AC system out of the water, period. I have several friends with VA and about 1/2 of them HATE it. Constant problems with head units, the main box that goes under the dash sweating so bad they have to ride around with a towel in the floor and just "meh" performance. Get a modern condenser and all fresh components with a good compressor and you'll be more than pleased with the factory setup. I kept my factory stuff because of all my friends that hate their VA setup

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm interested in this as well. My C30 was a factory air truck, but it hasn't worked in 30+ years; My K30 is a bare bones, non-AC unit. There is a guy in town with 2 late 70's squares, both full custom jobs, & both have the Vintage Air systems. This is the way I plan to go for both of mine. I figure all of the factory AC components will need to be replaced due to age, & by the time I sourced everything, I'd probably be close to the cost of the VA system. If nothing else, it really cleans up the looks under the hood.
$450 and you can have every single major component in your AC system brand new. The only items that are hard to find and might drive up the cost and ease of replacement will be the actual boxes and doors/actuators in the engine bay and inside the cab. If everything is present and just hasn't worked in a while, then it is WAY cheaper to just get the factory system working compared to ripping everything out and converting to an aftermarket system. I have the original A6 compressor on my 1980 K20 and it works perfect still. I pulled the system apart, rebuilt the compressor($25 kit from ebay with the new style lip seal), flushed all lines and condensor/evaporator, replaced all seals with green orings, new accumulator/drier, new orifice tube, new hose/manifold set from compressor, filled compressor with PAG 150, charged system with 3-12oz cans of R134, and sent it. No issues for the last several years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m still looking into which direction I want to go with my truck.
It’s original compressor and some of the brackets are long gone, they could be somewhere in my dad’s barn but most likely not. I’d want the later style compressor anyway so I’d need to find those brackets also.
The outside box has corner mounts damage and will need some serious repair work. All of the inside cables and vacuum lines & actuators will need to be replaced.
The folks I know personally with VA like it fine, those vehicles aren’t daily drivers either though.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A properly rehabbed stock system will blow any aftermarket AC system out of the water, period. I have several friends with VA and about 1/2 of them HATE it. Constant problems with head units, the main box that goes under the dash sweating so bad they have to ride around with a towel in the floor and just "meh" performance. Get a modern condenser and all fresh components with a good compressor and you'll be more than pleased with the factory setup. I kept my factory stuff because of all my friends that hate their VA setup
WHAT!!!!!
You crazy, but that's beside the point. I have VA and...well....I sorta agree on some points.
I have had zero issues with the controls or function of the system. I don't understand the evap box sweating you mention? Mine drains right out the tube right on top of my leaf spring. Never a drop inside. I love the simplicity of the plug and play, no vacuum lines, cables, etc.
Now to the "meh" side. It lacks airflow. It sounds mean as hell but I think the volume out the vents could be better. I like the clean firewall but I don't like the 1/2 size glovebox. It gets cold, but not always quickly. I'm not going to bash it because I think my situation is "unique". I'm in Yuma Az. Summers are 115+ here and 100% sunshine. When leaving work, the thermometer in the dash reads over 150-160 inside.
However, I would like to have a SXS comparison with the OEM system with a modern condenser and my current sanden compressor. If I had to do it again, I would go that route. Then I would think about an LS swap :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Out of curiosity, what's the difference? It looks almost identical to the VA Surefit series.
I do not know what the difference is. I am not at a point that I need to look into buying an aftermarket system. What I do know, vintage requires modifications, and as others have mentioned, vintage isn't that great. My 81 came with factory air, so it'll just get the factory system redone, but Crusty Biscuit will get a classic auto air system.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably redo the stock system and do the upgrades.

Fortunately my system is complete and semi-functional. I am going to lizardskin the interior and additional insulation.

I like the idea of the stock system and always being able to get parts.

I was going to buy the VA system for my C10 last year but waited as they said the Gen5 was coming out. The C10 has shaved firewall so a custom system is what I want, but the C30 I want ease of use/ service.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
WHAT!!!!!
You crazy, but that's beside the point. I have VA and...well....I sorta agree on some points.
I have had zero issues with the controls or function of the system. I don't understand the evap box sweating you mention? Mine drains right out the tube right on top of my leaf spring. Never a drop inside. I love the simplicity of the plug and play, no vacuum lines, cables, etc.
Now to the "meh" side. It lacks airflow. It sounds mean as hell but I think the volume out the vents could be better. I like the clean firewall but I don't like the 1/2 size glovebox. It gets cold, but not always quickly. I'm not going to bash it because I think my situation is "unique". I'm in Yuma Az. Summers are 115+ here and 100% sunshine. When leaving work, the thermometer in the dash reads over 150-160 inside.
However, I would like to have a SXS comparison with the OEM system with a modern condenser and my current sanden compressor. If I had to do it again, I would go that route. Then I would think about an LS swap :)
Lol. A buddy in SC constantly has issues with his headunit/controller losing power/resetting/blanking out on it. And 3 buddies in FL have the box sweat. It drains out the drain in the floor like it should but then the exterior of the box sweats and rains on the carpet.

I've ridden in a few VA trucks and a few rehabbed stock AC trucks. The OEM system hands down works better.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
WHAT!!!!!

Lol. A buddy in SC constantly has issues with his headunit/controller losing power/resetting/blanking out on it. And 3 buddies in FL have the box sweat. It drains out the drain in the floor like it should but then the exterior of the box sweats and rains on the carpet.

I've ridden in a few VA trucks and a few rehabbed stock AC trucks. The OEM system hands down works better.

I’m guessing the “Sweaty box” can be attributed to the Florida humidity…. Arizona is arid enough that the box isn’t collecting condensation on the outside of the housing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m guessing the “Sweaty box” can be attributed to the Florida humidity…. Arizona is arid enough that the box isn’t collecting condensation on the outside of the housing.
Ya. Keep them Sweaty boxes in Florida! I see plenty of them on Orange Blossom Trail whenever I visit Orlando.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo