Tailgate hangs too low when opened. Any way to get it more level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Thought about getting shorter cables but it looks like that wont help much after doing some measurements. Any thoughts? Thanks!

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
The gate is off now, I welded in some new metal on the bottom. The tailgate goes so low it sits on the bumper and I am trying to correct it before i put it back on so the new paint wont get messed up.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Let's see some pics.
What year?
Does it have cables or the metal bars?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hopefully you haven't already painted it, you always need to figure out problems and make adjustments before paint. I assume we're talking about a Suburban? @Catbox asked a good question, the bumper could be too high. There's quite a bit of adjustment in the bumper brackets.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
It has cables. 89 V2500. I will adjust the bumper as low as it can go and see if it helps. It looks like the one bolt on the truck that holds the cable is bent a little. Is that fixable?

Does anyone know about what the correct angle should be? Mine is opened well past 90 degrees, curious if that is normal for this to happen over time. Thanks !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LazyBonez22