Suburban rear door jamb rust fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2manyburbans

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 suburban silverado
Engine Size
5.7 v8
I was wondering what is the best way to repair the upper door jams on the suburban model I have a donor truck but I have to cut parts myself and I'm not to sure on how I would cut this section out or are there alternatives to fix this area
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240924_121900.jpg
    20240924_121900.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240924_121856.jpg
    20240924_121856.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yikes. I'd be finding me a new truck. That's the worst possible area to repair

2manyburbans

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 suburban silverado
Engine Size
5.7 v8
Yikes. I'd be finding me a new truck. That's the worst possible area to repair
But it can't be impossible like I said I have a solid donor I can cut on would that even matter and I'm working with a very competent body shop

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
But it can't be impossible like I said I have a solid donor I can cut on would that even matter and I'm working with a very competent body shop
No, it's not impossible. But the problem is there's multiple layers of metal right there. There's the inner C-pillar structure, the door surround, the quarter panel and then the roof skin. If I were going to attempt it, I would cut the parts truck right behind the B-pillar and halfway down the quarter, all the way to the middle of the truck. That way you have plenty to work with in case you find more rust (and you will) underneath. But that is going to be a nightmarish repair.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I disagree. I think that's a minor repair, and a good one for beginners too. Cut out the roof skin of the effected area, just large enough to also have good access to that outer layer of jamb area. Then cut out the bad area of the jamb. Cut out more of the donor than you will need, then separate the donor panels. Then trim them down as needed, to weld into your truck.

I say it's a good repair for beginners because it's a small area and much of the bodywork will just be in the jamb. The bodywork to the roof skin is up high and not obvious to spectators. The hardest part will be welding it in without blowing holes in the sheetmetal, if that's not something you are familiar with doing.

I definitely would not be looking for a new truck because of that.

2manyburbans

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 suburban silverado
Engine Size
5.7 v8
No, it's not impossible. But the problem is there's multiple layers of metal right there. There's the inner C-pillar structure, the door surround, the quarter panel and then the roof skin. If I were going to attempt it, I would cut the parts truck right behind the B-pillar and halfway down the quarter, all the way to the middle of the truck. That way you have plenty to work with in case you find more rust (and you will) underneath. But that is going to be a nightmarish repair.
Thank you for your honesty I would get a new truck but the market down here in florida is very slim you especially for the burbans you either get rust bucket or a $25,000 show truck but I will keep the forum posted and again thank you

2manyburbans

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 suburban silverado
Engine Size
5.7 v8
I disagree. I think that's a minor repair, and a good one for beginners too. Cut out the roof skin of the effected area, just large enough to also have good access to that outer layer of jamb area. Then cut out the bad area of the jamb. Cut out more of the donor than you will need, then separate the donor panels. Then trim them down as needed, to weld into your truck.

I say it's a good repair for beginners because it's a small area and much of the bodywork will just be in the jamb. The bodywork to the roof skin is up high and not obvious to spectators. The hardest part will be welding it in without blowing holes in the sheetmetal, if that's not something you are familiar with doing.

I definitely would not be looking for a new truck because of that.
I'm working with a very good body shop they've been in business under the same owner for 65+ years I'm going to listen to both of you guys and cut way more than I need and then let the shop do the rest thank you guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazardous