Starter problems after doing 5 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i found a photo of the other side of my flywheel (facing the clutch)

Engine side.......
You must be registered for see images attach
ok yeah my flywheel is on right. Gears on side facing motor, ridge, and there’s no indent were the crank meets. I think it just has a nice Finnish on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 27

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Maybe you just need a more factory style flywheel. No reason for one to be all fancy unless you're racing or have endless cash

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Transmission side......

You must be registered for see images attach
Yup definitely on correct.
Maybe you just need a more factory style flywheel. No reason for one to be all fancy unless you're racing or have endless cash
Possibly but it’s apart of a kit that was put together by American powertrain to fit my truck and work with a oem style starter. Just want to clarify I didn’t buy the parts individually.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Billet is not always better. Sounds like this may the case here. If the dimensions from the crank mating surface and ring gear don't match OEM, that will cause problems. I don't have those specs, but somebody might

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Are you sure you got the correct kit? Do you have a two piece or one piece rear main seal? Is your crankshaft aftermarket or factory?

What's the part number on the starters you're getting? Flywheel looks ok from the pictures. Whether or not the measurements are correct, I can't tell from pictures.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Try counting the ring gear teeth. There's 168 and 153. Starters are different but looks like your block will take either one.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Billet is not always better. Sounds like this may the case here. If the dimensions from the crank mating surface and ring gear don't match OEM, that will cause problems. I don't have those specs, but somebody might

Are you sure you got the correct kit? Do you have a two piece or one piece rear main seal? Is your crankshaft aftermarket or factory?

What's the part number on the starters you're getting? Flywheel looks ok from the pictures. Whether or not the measurements are correct, I can't tell from pictures.
Out
Crank is factory as far as I’m aware. It is a 2 piece. The kit was set up for the specs of my truck.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try counting the ring gear teeth. There's 168 and 153. Starters are different but looks like your block will take either one.
Would the different sizes affect how far the starter will go out? I’m pretty sure it’s a 168 though

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
So does the starter grind/make horrible noises or everything functions correctly and you're just worried about it only engaging halfway? Cuz if it were a 168/153/wrong starter thing, it would make all kinds of terrible noise when trying to start.

If it's purely just engaging half the teeth but working fine otherwise, I'd contact that guy at American Powertrain back to see how his is but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had starters in the past that didn't quite get 100% engagement and worked fine for a long time.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Would the different sizes affect how far the starter will go out? I’m pretty sure it’s a 168 though
The 153 tooth looks longer here but it may just be the picture.. Dont have one in front of me to say either way

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So does the starter grind/make horrible noises or everything functions correctly and you're just worried about it only engaging halfway? Cuz if it were a 168/153/wrong starter thing, it would make all kinds of terrible noise when trying to start.

If it's purely just engaging half the teeth but working fine otherwise, I'd contact that guy at American Powertrain back to see how his is but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had starters in the past that didn't quite get 100% engagement and worked fine for a long time.
Started up really well when running a jegs mini. Didn’t think too much of it because it sounded so good. No shims btw (2/3 of meshing). I haven’t tried starting it with oem starter although I’m curious because I’m afraid I will seriously damage the fly if I start it again. I’ve been very lucky that the mini didn’t damage because it was making even less contact. Thank god its billet or I’d have some serious problems.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Started up really well when running a jegs mini. Didn’t think too much of it because it sounded so good. No shims btw (2/3 of meshing). I haven’t tried starting it with oem starter although I’m curious because I’m afraid I will seriously damage the fly if I start it again. I’ve been very lucky that the mini didn’t damage because it was making even less contact. Thank god its billet or I’d have some serious problems.
Hmm. Yeah, I'd call American Powertrain and go through everything with them. Until you pull it apart, we're just spitting darts

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

The 153 tooth looks longer here but it may just be the picture.. Dont have one in front of me to say either way
They are the same starter just a different nose cone. We used to swap nose cones regularly depending on what we were building. And if I had 2/3rds engaged I wouldn't even be worried about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokeydabear