Starter problems after doing 5 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
someone please help me! Recently got an American powertrain t5 transmission swap kit (trans, fly wheel, clutch everything!) for my 78 c10 that has a remanufactures 350 crate motor. I talked to a guy at American powertrain and he said that oem starters are supposed to work with the kit but when installing a oem starter (correct for 168 fly) that he recommended and uses personally it doesn’t extend the pinon gear out far enough to fully make contact with the fly. Estimate about 1/2 of the gear makes contact. I’ve checked many times and the solenoid is fully extending. I’m pretty lost and it’s the 3rd starter I’ve tried not counting the auto trans starter the truck came with. Total: 2 mini starters and an oem. Any ideas? The fly wheel is installed correctly and the distance from the block to fly wheel is correct distance. Any ideas would help! Black mark on pinon is how far it connects to fly.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 36

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A flipped manual transmission flywheel? Is that even possible? Flexplates yeah but a legitimate flywheel,you'd have to try really hard to make that happen.
That's another for the shame thread! Flywheel vs flexplate! People seem to use those interchangeably.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A flipped manual transmission flywheel? Is that even possible? Flexplates yeah but a legitimate flywheel,you'd have to try really hard to make that happen.
I've never seen the back side of a flywheel that smooth before. Usually they're rough cast, but I didn't screw it together

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Flywheel on backwards is the only thing I can think of. You sure it's not flipped
Flywheel on backwards is the only thing I can think of. You sure it's not flipped?
thought that could be it too but it would only make the distance further since the gears are sitting on the side of the fly closest to the block. Only other problems I could think of is maybe the holes for the starter were incorrectly drilled when refurbishing the block or the fly is incorrectly machined.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I've never seen the back side of a flywheel that smooth before. Usually they're rough cast, but I didn't screw it together

I’m fairly certain the fly has a nice finish on both sides but it’s been a few months since installing. The car has moved under it’s own power by the way.

Last edited:

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good eye. Yeah, I am leaning towards it being on backurds
I’ve pulled the car off my lift under its own power. Wouldn’t that mean it’s all been installed correctly? I also think the fly is a nice Finnish on either side.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I’m fairly certain the fly has a nice finish on both sides but it’s been a few months since installing. The car has moved under it’s own power by the way.
Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be backurds. And flywheels do not have nice finish on both sides

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I’ve pulled the car off my lift under its own power. Wouldn’t that mean it’s all been installed correctly? I also think the fly is a nice Finnish on either side.
Flywheels are not dual wear surface.

justinbrugg

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be backurds. And flywheels do not have nice finish on both sides
I’m honestly hoping it’s as easy as flipping it around. I’m only confused because the gears are off the the side of the fly that is closest to the block and it has a ridge on the surface facing the block. Looking at flywheels there are also indents on the sides facing the transmission were it screws in. Like I’ve said the car moves under its own power without any problems.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Transmission side......

You must be registered for see images attach