Sirius/XM "Roady" with original GM truck radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Wondering if adding the Sirius/XM "Roady" to an original GM squarebody 2700 truck radio is possible?
I had one in one of my S-10s years ago. Worked great.

Anyone have experience with the connection and difficulty of doing this?
I understand the subscription part.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This has nothing to do with what you want to do, but I know an electronics nerd that has free Sirius in all 3 of his cars. He buys the radio, subscribes, pulls the radio, cancels the subscription and waits a year. Apparently Sirius pings the unit-specific shut off signal for a year then moves on.

Sounded like fun, but I probably have more music than Sirius. Have a thumb drive with 5 different folders / genres, each with about 300-400 songs. Am willing to share. lol

Dont need no stinkin' Sirius. :hat:

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Assuming that your radio is AM/FM, you can simply use the Roady's broadcast function to transmit to your radio. I usually use 88.300 with mine since that frequency normally doesn't have any interference in my local area. You can set transmit frequency in the Roady's menu. So, just find a an empty FM station and adjust accordingly.

If it is an AM only radio (sorry for not being fully familiar with the GM 2700 offering), then you can use a classic FM converter to interface with your factory radio and simply follow the above procedure.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Assuming that your radio is AM/FM, you can simply use the Roady's broadcast function to transmit to your radio. I usually use 88.300 with mine since that frequency normally doesn't have any interference in my local area. You can set transmit frequency in the Roady's menu. So, just find a an empty FM station and adjust accordingly.

If it is an AM only radio (sorry for not being fully familiar with the GM 2700 offering), then you can use a classic FM converter to interface with your factory radio and simply follow the above procedure.
if he wanted to hardline to the thing, i think the best way to do that is with a tape variant of the radio, and essentially the Sirius would be utilizing that function

no idea in the slightest how to do it tho

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wondering if adding the Sirius/XM "Roady" to an original GM squarebody 2700 truck radio is possible?
I had one in one of my S-10s years ago. Worked great.

Anyone have experience with the connection and difficulty of doing this?
I understand the subscription part.
the user manual says it'll play 'through' the fm receiver.
(inline with antenna)

i ran a 12 disc changer that had an inline antenna 'box' and i never had any trouble out of it.

the inline 'box' type of gadgets have far less issue with interference than gadgets that emit a signal relying on the vehicle antenna to 'pick up' out of the air.

good luck
'monkey

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This has nothing to do with what you want to do, but I know an electronics nerd that has free Sirius in all 3 of his cars. He buys the radio, subscribes, pulls the radio, cancels the subscription and waits a year. Apparently Sirius pings the unit-specific shut off signal for a year then moves on.

Sounded like fun, but I probably have more music than Sirius. Have a thumb drive with 5 different folders / genres, each with about 300-400 songs. Am willing to share. lol

My dad found out that trick after he bought his Corvette. He got the first year free I believe and didn't renew it. But the car spent all the cold months in the steel barn, along with much of the time in the warmer months too. It never had signal to shut off the service and I believe it still works to this day.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

I approve this message.

I have 1423 tracks on my SD card, all from my cd collection, and I still have about 25-30 cd's to transfer songs from.

Don't need no stinking sirius is right!...lol...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesquare85