Show your daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I Krown my 1990 burb every fall. $150 per year is cheap if it keeps it from rusting.

But do you drive it day in and day out, all year?

I cleaned it all the time and powerwashed all the nooks and crannies on the underside too. After every single time off-roading it, I spent an hour or so getting all the mud and stuff blasted off the underside of it. It had a power steering, oil and transmission leak and I never fixed them simply because they did a good job of coating the underside. The salt and brine still got into the seams and violated my poor Suburban.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
The sad part is where I live, you can't drive a Burb year-round for 21 years and still have much body remaining.

Our '88 was downright solid when we bought it in early '06. 10 years later, it really wasn't roadworthy. In '16 we bought a very nice '00 Burb and now, it's nearly as rusted as our '88.
You would hate me if I went out there and took a photo of the underside of it...
The factory paint still looks good under there with zero signs of rust all covered in road grime.

These are from a few years ago when we did the rear end again.
This is when I munched the Detroit Tru Trac that is behind that junkyard diff cover.
You must be registered for see images attach

Fresh rebuild with some Home Depot black rebuild in a can sprayed on it and the junkyard 3/4 ton leaf springs we put back under it.
Notice those clean wheel wells lacking in rust.

The Flowmaster I put under it shortly after I purchased the Sub took 18 years to rust out the welds.
And it has been replaced with some other Flowmaster variants, only to go back to the original 40 series style as it was the right sound.

I almost never wash the underside of the Burb either.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Sh
You would hate me if I went out there and took a photo of the underside of it...
The factory paint still looks good under there with zero signs of rust all covered in road grime.

This is when I munched the Detroit Tru Trac that is behind that junkyard diff cover.

Fresh rebuild with some Home Depot black rebuild in a can sprayed on it and the 3/4 ton leaf springs we put back under it.

The Flowmaster I put under it shortly after I purchased the Sub took 18 years to rust out the welds.
And it has been replaced with some other Flowmaster variants, only to go back to the original 40 series style as it was the right sound.
Shame, mine looks like it came off the titanic lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Fresh rebuild with some Home Depot black rebuild in a can sprayed on it and the 3/4 ton leaf springs we put back under it.

Yeah, I'm definitely jealous of the "good" areas for vehicles.

The '00 Express that I brought up from south central VA looks that good underneath. Incredibly nice. Now I don't drive it everyday because I'm out of town a bunch, but I can just about guarantee that 5 years from now, it will look like every other rotted van in Ohio.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
This is what i was balancing with my recent 2000 4runner purchase. New enough to cruise reliably and in comfort. Old enough that it's easy to work on.

That was the idea with this buick. It was just neglected a bit by POs. I about have it sorted now I think. It still occasionally does some weird stuff but I mainly just use it to get to work so who cares lol.

The cooling system was full of sludge. This was last piece, honestly it was probably fine with a flush but with as cheap as it was I figured why not. I won't do another one though :lol:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
But do you drive it day in and day out, all year?

I cleaned it all the time and powerwashed all the nooks and crannies on the underside too. After every single time off-roading it, I spent an hour or so getting all the mud and stuff blasted off the underside of it. It had a power steering, oil and transmission leak and I never fixed them simply because they did a good job of coating the underside. The salt and brine still got into the seams and violated my poor Suburban.

yes, for the last 6+ yrs...at about 15k miles per year. i give it a good wash/wax spring and fall, even though some previous paint job clear is failing badly. i don't let mud or road salt sit on it too long without a wash. and I visit Krown each fall, usually late October or early November. they spray the underside and inside all the body panels and doors with a coat of their oil.

no signs of rust yet, and I've done it each fall since ive owned it. but it might be a different story in 5 or 10 years, who knows. but I hope it's enough to keep the rust at bay...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yellow eyed Andi