Seat Rebuild - To reuse or not reuse padding. And fixed to folding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just broke down the disgusting seat/mouse house on my 1974 K20. I'm pretty sure this was the original seat/cover. If you leaned on it your hand would go through it.

The frame was in spectacular shape so that's great.
You must be registered for see images attach

First question. Is it worth reusing this foam (back only, bottom was beyond repair)? It doesn't seem like it's in bad shape but the parts that were exposed are prone to flaking if you poke at them (that area low center in the pic).
You must be registered for see images attach

I've been looking for foam and a common complaint is it's too stiff or sits you up higher. Any recommendations? Cheap is always good too.

Also is there a conversion kit to make the fixed seat foldable? I've looked around for a donor seat and they're hard to find in my area (all SB parts are).

I found this and it seems like a pretty good idea. If I went this route, I'd probably reinforce the area that was cut away and put in a stud on the lower screw to make it stronger (and a locking mechanism so it doesn't fall forward. I'd really like to get the stock plastic side covers so it looks stock so I was hoping there might be a weld-in kit. How could this not exist?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After watching this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I feel inspired to try and repair the foam I have. Everything that was covered and protected feels fresh, just the areas exposed to sunlight are flaky and brittle. I like the idea of stock foam and saving $300 and two weeks for delivery. Time to shop for some foam scraps and contact cement.

Am I making a mistake?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acrylic43