Rebuilding my dash pad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OK, A new project that probably won't work, but I'll try. I figure worse case scenario, I just buy a whole new dash.

My original plan was to fill in the cracks and to fiberglass it as others have done. It looks good but I wasn't in love with it versus the more natural looking grain as well as being soft. Regardless, the factory dash foam was peeling away from the metal in areas where the windshield was likely leaking and rust was forming underneath. These areas are beyond salvaging without some major surgery.

I used to do a lot of custom interior parts in the 90's like wrapping custom speaker pods in vinyl so I don't know why that won't work here.

I did a test on a small technical area around a mounting screw and it looked great so let's see how it goes on the whole dash.

A few questions for all the square-body brains here:
1) Is there a chance the foam has asbestos in it? My son asked me that and NGL I can't get it out of my head.
2) does that middle speaker need to be there for any ventilation reasons? I was thinking about maybe putting a couple tweeters right and left to bounce off the windshield but didn't really need a center speaker. I can perforate the vinyl to look stock which would look really cool, but it's also a lot of extra work and years of sun will wear on it.

I plan to wear a respirator even if it's foam but if it's asbestos, I'd probably just ditch it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BSabbath