Rear Leaf Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Lost Texan

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
LS
1985 C10 2WD Short Bed

The vehicle is original and unmolested. According to the RPO code it is a heavy 1/2 ton with heavy 5-leaf rear springs. And judging by the bed, it appears the truck hauled absolutely nothing. I'm currently in the middle of performing a 4-6 static drop, c-notch, axle flip kit, etc.... The frame just got back from powdering coating and is sitting on the hoist. Seeking advice on rear springs.... should I clean them up and re-use the heavy 5-springs? Remove the bottom 5th spring? Or consider new, lighter springs with only 4-leafs? I will not be hauling anything in the bed except for a suitcase and a cooler, to keep my Shiner cold. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thx. Shane

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'd remove one spring and see how it sits and rides. Doesn't have to be the bottom spring either.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine has is lowered with shackles and hangers and has 6 leaves (56" springs) with the overload pulled. Once I put the rear shock mount extensions on it rides great.
I would put it all together first though and see where you wind up height wise and adjust from there.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Since you’re committed to a flip and looking for 6” drop, may as well start with stock springs since you’ll need oe height springs anyway. Remove a leaf or 2 if you want a softer ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy