Rear disc conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerhed

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I have a 1983 K20 with the semi float rear axle. I want to convert it to a disc set up and was wondering if the same setup that works on a full floater will work on a semi float. The adapter plates are about $50 on Amazon, and I've watched some videos of people using the front rotors and calipers from same year, and it looks like that once the adapter plate is on, everything else but the line fabrication is a bolt on. What I can't seem to find is a video of somebody doing this on a semi float rear diff.

Anybody know about this can maybe shine a little light my way?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
If you’re up against rebuilding and replacing everything on the rear brakes including drums, then maybe it’s the right time to convert. Similar cost magnitude.
Or if you plan on daily driving it through a couple sets of brake pads like you’re gonna pile on 150k miles in the next 5 years. I’d think about it.
But if all u need is shoes wheel Cylinders and maybe a hardware kit, drums are hard to beat and if they are in new condition they will last a long time and stop very well.
JMO. Sorry I didn’t answer your question. I don’t know that answer.

gerhed

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you’re up against rebuilding and replacing everything on the rear brakes including drums, then maybe it’s the right time to convert. Similar cost magnitude.
Or if you plan on daily driving it through a couple sets of brake pads like you’re gonna pile on 150k miles in the next 5 years. I’d think about it.
But if all u need is shoes wheel Cylinders and maybe a hardware kit, drums are hard to beat and if they are in new condition they will last a long time and stop very well.
JMO. Sorry I didn’t answer your question. I don’t know that answer.
Nah, you answered just fine. I only put 4-5,000 miles a year on my work truck, which is what this will be, so, I think I'll just keep the drums.

Very convincing argument, thanks.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nah, you answered just fine. I only put 4-5,000 miles a year on my work truck, which is what this will be, so, I think I'll just keep the drums.

Very convincing argument, thanks.
Good plan, especially since the front brakes do most of the work.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
So I have a 1983 K20 with the semi float rear axle. I want to convert it to a disc set up and was wondering if the same setup that works on a full floater will work on a semi float. The adapter plates are about $50 on Amazon, and I've watched some videos of people using the front rotors and calipers from same year, and it looks like that once the adapter plate is on, everything else but the line fabrication is a bolt on. What I can't seem to find is a video of somebody doing this on a semi float rear diff.

Anybody know about this can maybe shine a little light my way?
I would, instead, switch to a 14 bolt Full Floating rear end with 13 inch brakes. More bang for the buck.

J. B.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The kits I've seen use mid 80's Eldorado/Toranado front calipers.
I've done 2-3 14BFF rear disc conversions and those calipers don't hold very well. I think the pedal/ lever needs more travel. I used a ratcheting lever on one and it was better. If I ever use Eldo calipers again, which I won't, I think the trick would be to use an e-stopp to pull it up tight.

Rear disc conversions aren't really worth it unless you are spending big money and racing. Rear drums work well and are reliable. If 30-40% of your braking occurs in the rear and a disc conversion improves it by 10-20%, you see less than a 10% improvement overall. Put the same money into larger drums in rear and better front calipers up front and you'll be way ahead

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
FYI the 14 bolt has several different drum sizes 11, 13, and at least two width sizes, 2.5 and 3" I think.....Bigger is better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackandBlue