Quadrajet Filter Spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Measure the bore in the carb and measure the fuel line nut depth where the filter goes and you can calculate how much room you have for a filter and spring.
Side note I have found that some filters that have the rubber check valve that they are made with way way smaller ports than the GM original ones had. Could be a problem depending on how you drive and or load.
Hmmm. Did not know that. May have to try a different filter besides the CarQuest brand just to see if that changes how the truck performs under load/more throttle.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
It should have a spring,a windowed needle and seat and fuel filter with a check valve. All the people smarter than the GM engineers are going to tell you throw away the check valve,but unless you have much higher than stock fuel requirements leave the valve in place. It can help with extended crank times on windowed needle and seat qjets.
Most extended cranking to fill the float chamber was from the well plugs draining and they took a while to refill before you'd get the engine to run again. There were kits to prevent that well plug drainage and they worked pretty well.

I just use an electric frame-mounted fuel pump as a "pusher" down near the gas tank because pumps don't suck as well as the push.

That way I don't have to wait for the mechanical pump to refill the carb --- I just hit a push button and ran the pump before I hit the ignition - which also ran the electric fuel pump.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Most extended cranking to fill the float chamber was from the well plugs draining and they took a while to refill before you'd get the engine to run again. There were kits to prevent that well plug drainage and they worked pretty well.

I just use an electric frame-mounted fuel pump as a "pusher" down near the gas tank because pumps don't suck as well as the push.

That way I don't have to wait for the mechanical pump to refill the carb --- I just hit a push button and ran the pump before I hit the ignition - which also ran the electric fuel pump.
Well plugs was a part of it on earlier Qjets,but there are multiple problems and they stack. On cars with a windowed needle and seat and a return style pump if enough fuel evaporates from the bowl,the float lowers and the needle opens. With the windowed needle and seat the bowl will drain all the way empty through the return line. The factory fuel filter with check valve although not its original intention will prevent this. Another problem with extended crank on qjets is running a pump with no return line,with engine hot on a hot day the fuel line will pressurize with fuel expansion,since the pressure can't bleed off through the return line it blows the needle and seat open and overfills the float bowl. Now you have an extended crank,due to a flooding situation,but people immediately assume leaky plug wells.Especially if someone looks in the manifold and sees a fuel puddle,ir observes fuel vapor coming up through the air horn when they remove the air cleaner lid. You are absolutely correct,fuel pumps push better than they pull,the closer to the tank and lower you can get them the better.A simpler IMHO and solution I've told others to do in the past is use a rear mounted electric pusher pump,use your starter solenoid wire as your 12 volt source. When you are cranking the 12 volt pump is energized and you have fuel in a matter of seconds,no push buttons nothing even visible.Once the car starts the electric pump is no longer powered I don't remember what year they changed the plug wells,but since the early problem,now all quadrajets have that problem,whether they do or not. Just my humble opinions.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My best friend in third grade was an only child like me, but her dad was in the "oil bidness" so they were a bit better off than my family. She had every Barbie toy or accessory, but her folks were also enlightened enough that she had toy cars too. She gave me Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars for my birthday and Christmas, and I still have some of them over 45 years later.
They also had a travel trailer for their vacations, and a square body Burb with a 454 to tow it. Red and white, Silverado, with tan vinyl interior, 73,74 or 75, and I don't remember if it was a half ton or 3/4 ton
When you said this it made me think of 2 pics. IDK if they are fitting but. 1 is my ex the other is just a random pic that reminded my of her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-03_195521.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-03_195521.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2024-09-03_195313.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-03_195313.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
When you said this it made me think of 2 pics. IDK if they are fitting but. 1 is my ex the other is just a random pic that reminded my of her.
First one could a been me, helping my cousin with an engine swap for one of our parts store customers. Guy had a '64 Impala 4 door sedan, had 283 and PG, tired but ran okay (this was early 80s) and he's convinced himself that a target master 350 is what the car needs. We picked one up at Richardson Chevrolet, brought it and the car out to our shop building in Stafford. Cousin and his best friend do the swap over a long weekend (might've been Labor Day weekend, IDK) and the car runs better, but the engine needs a tune to work better with the rest of the car, maybe a rear gear change too. Old man customer is happy, cousin has some spending $$. I helped them with some of the job, mainly fetching tools and cleaning parts. Just like I started out helping Dad....then he and I graduated to larger projects. Also at this time, we were still setting up things in the building, constructing the mezzanine and arranging the tools and so forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy