Power Steering Squeel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danzey

Reaction score
First Name
Danzey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I recently updated my 86 k10 with the following:

Skyjacker single steering stabilizer
New Cardone power steering pump and pulley
New Gates Premium power steering belt
Borgeson Quick Turn steering gear
new pressure and return hoses
Jeep Steering shaft retro mod
Bled all air from the system - with new PS fluid

The truck drives like a new modern vehicle and I love the setup (wish I would have found the Borgeson early when working on my son's OBS truck)

3" lift 33" tires if it matters....

The issue:

When idling parked on either sand or pavement the power steering system squeels if you turn the wheel. It's fine when you are in motion, but squeels if you need to turn the wheels at a stop.

I feel that the belt is plenty tight - my only thought is if the pulleys aren't aligned very well or the water pump pulley is shot. What am I missing?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I recently updated my 86 k10 with the following:

Skyjacker single steering stabilizer
New Cardone power steering pump and pulley
New Gates Premium power steering belt
Borgeson Quick Turn steering gear
new pressure and return hoses
Jeep Steering shaft retro mod
Bled all air from the system - with new PS fluid

The truck drives like a new modern vehicle and I love the setup (wish I would have found the Borgeson early when working on my son's OBS truck)

3" lift 33" tires if it matters....

The issue:

When idling parked on either sand or pavement the power steering system squeels if you turn the wheel. It's fine when you are in motion, but squeels if you need to turn the wheels at a stop.

I feel that the belt is plenty tight - my only thought is if the pulleys aren't aligned very well or the water pump pulley is shot. What am I missing?
It's most likely the belt tension. So something in that system isn't happy.

I've daily driven on 33' and 35's in my burban for a long time now, haven't had an issue. Still original pulleys and power steering pump.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
One thing you are missing is the difference in torque multiplication from a quick ratio box to a standard box.The power steering pump has to work harder because the box is working harder. I'd make darn sure my pulleys were aligned,and sanded,so there is no glaze. Once you glaze the belt or the pulley you're going to keep fighting it. The water pump pulley is only an idler in the situation and will not create your squeal. It is either the driving pulley,or the driven pulley.If I put in a quick ratio box and bigger tires I'd do a frame reinforcement,regardless of if I had cracks.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is there any chance of pully mismatch?
That shouldn't cause this. All that should do is cause the output to spin slower or faster. Technically it could cause a "performance" steering box to underperform but still shouldn't squeal the belt. Could be wrong though.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That shouldn't cause this. All that should do is cause the output to spin slower or faster. Technically it could cause a "performance" steering box to underperform but still shouldn't squeal the belt. Could be wrong though.
only thing I could think is that if you used the wrong pulley slot on a ps pump with 2 or 3 grooves, the outer groove is usually for AC, and the pulley groove is a different size.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Respectfully disagree, had that problem on one of my trucks. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. Water pump pully diameters were not matched to the crank pully. One belt had to always slip. Didn't manifest itself until the belt was put under a higher load, squealed.

It's actually quite easy to do if building up a truck with missing parts. There are quite a few pully design configurations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echo 53