Pollack Tank Selector Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
Hello all, just got my '77 K10 back from a 5.3 install, but having trouble with the selector valve. Got two brand new tanks from Tanks inc or PSI Conversions with Walboro internal pumps. The guy who installed it said the system runs between 58-62 psi and had a gauge on it to confirm. Just purchased a new 65 psi Pollack switch because the old one (happened to be the same) was acting strange. This one seemed to work initially until I saw fuel dumping from the opposite tank's overflow. Switched tanks and eventually the same thing. When using the right tank, a high pitched whistle comes from the valve, also.

What is happening is the tank in use is pushing fuel through the return line into the other tank for some reason. Has anyone seen this? Did I just happen to get the one bad selector? I know all the connections to the valve are correct and have had the truck running direct off either tanks so the lines are correct at the tanks.

Also looking for a toggle like the original square one (aux/main) with the correct amount of connections to use with this selector. The original is one short, I think; or I just don't know how to wire it up. I'd prefer not to use an aftermarket toggle switch.

Attachments

• IMG_3084.JPG
    IMG_3084.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3085.JPG
    IMG_3085.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 31

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I’ve seen this…

Trying to remember here, but if the wiring isn’t right the return will dump to the wrong tank and the pump will squall loudly. We did it when I was doing my ****** valve and EFI conversion

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
I followed things to the T. Do you remember where the wiring was wrong? Maybe I'm an idiot. I've got two wires to each of the wires on the plug; one to the power and the other split to the pump. I even put a completely new wire to one so there was no question.

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
There is one extra port on the plug, but there is nothing coming from it. Could that be where I supply power?

Attachments

• i1.wp.jpg
    i1.wp.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 30

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
Could there be a bad ground on the squeeling pump? I've had one tank down, but not the other. Doesn't seem the pump would work.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
There is one extra port on the plug, but there is nothing coming from it. Could that be where I supply power?

IIRC, I crossed up these two splices somehow (on “D” and “E”)

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Could there be a bad ground on the squeeling pump? I've had one tank down, but not the other. Doesn't seem the pump would work.
IIRC

If you hit one pump with power and power up the wrong wire at the switch it will do what you are describing. It’s been 2 years since I had this problem

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
That actually makes sense. It's opening up the valve but running the opposite pump. I think I can just switch it at the toggle. We'll see. Thanks.

Richard Barnes

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
5.3L
If you lived in Spokane, I'd be driving a beer over to your house right now. Tried the toggle, the other pump just whined. Switched the power wire to the different pump; same thing. Changed the plug cable from D to E and E to D - no whine and just went for a 6-7 mile drive with no change in fuel level and no whine. I swear I thought of all the different permutations of this, but obviously missed that one. Thanks a ton

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you lived in Spokane, I'd be driving a beer over to your house right now. Tried the toggle, the other pump just whined. Switched the power wire to the different pump; same thing. Changed the plug cable from D to E and E to D - no whine and just went for a 6-7 mile drive with no change in fuel level and no whine. I swear I thought of all the different permutations of this, but obviously missed that one. Thanks a ton
AWESOME!

Glad it worked out for you

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Dang, I just got done doing the same thing, but missed out on the help, was at Bonneville, maybe next time. Love the easy fix, and CalSgt, knows his stuff

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Dang, I just got done doing the same thing, but missed out on the help, was at Bonneville, maybe next time. Love the easy fix, and CalSgt, knows his stuff
Thanks for the confidence Sir... But even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
10ptBUck