Parasitic draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thats an option but have to be careful the load doesn't exceed the fast blow fuse. Last I knew they were about $10. After buying several I use the shunts.

Remove negative cable, one clamp on the cable other on the battery. I say negative because no grounding issues. That is unless it is an older British car. In that case positive side.
Yeah, you have to make sure you have the terminals in the right spot of the multimeter. My fluke will handle up to 10A, and if you have that much draw... you would know it. Just use a light at that point. A 10A parasitic draw will pull a modern battery down from full charge to completely dead in just a few hours.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thats an option but have to be careful the load doesn't exceed the fast blow fuse. Last I knew they were about $10. After buying several I use the shunts.

Remove negative cable, one clamp on the cable other on the battery. I say negative because no grounding issues. That is unless it is an older British car. In that case positive side.
A couple of things I can add to this, in training ac/delco our instructor told us to make a fused lead for our meters with a fuse lower than the meter fuse,that way a failure was cheap and easy to repair. I usually just use a test light between negative cable and negative battery post. I think @fast 99 already mentioned that. If the lights lit disconnect the alternator,if the light is still lit pull fuses 1 at a time until the light goes out. When you pull the fuse that puts the light out replace that fuse with a 194 bulb,hook the battery back up and start taking loads off that fuses circuit until the 194 bulb goes out. I've got a pic of my 194 bulb I'll put up in a minute.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-29_193312.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-29_193312.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
agree, but sometimes I forgot that and turned the headlights or another high amp circuit on. Yes, a 10-amp draw is very excessive and normally much less.

Uberbeans

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
Disconnect negative battery cable. Set digital Mulitmeter to read "A". Connect one lead to the battery cable, connect other lead to the negative terminal on the battery. If you have a parasitic draw you should see something more than 0.5A on the meter with the key off. Start pulling fuses one by one and look at the multimeter after pulling each one. When the draw drops below 0.5A, you have found the circuit that has the draw in it.

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely do this this weekend. I need to check the max on my multimeter as I don't have a shunt yet. I'm really tired of the battery losing voltage in three or four days.

(Sorry Buddhabelly I don't mean to hijack your thread)

Uberbeans

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
A couple of things I can add to this, in training ac/delco our instructor told us to make a fused lead for our meters with a fuse lower than the meter fuse,that way a failure was cheap and easy to repair. I usually just use a test light between negative cable and negative battery post. I think @fast 99 already mentioned that. If the lights lit disconnect the alternator,if the light is still lit pull fuses 1 at a time until the light goes out. When you pull the fuse that puts the light out replace that fuse with a 194 bulb,hook the battery back up and start taking loads off that fuses circuit until the 194 bulb goes out. I've got a pic of my 194 bulb I'll put up in a minute.
Ricko1966, are you saying that a bad alternator could cause a draw? Even if the alternator is working properly otherwise it could cause a draw?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ricko1966, are you saying that a bad alternator could cause a draw? Even if the alternator is working properly otherwise it could cause a draw?
I am not an electrical guru but can promise you from experience on a 79 Trans AM that, yes, it can. It would drain the battery in 12 hours and test AOK on the parts house machine.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
QUOTE="Uberbeans, post: 939519, member: 41860"]
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. It's the first thing I'd disconnect. And didnt you say you changed the pigtail? Make dam sure you didn't flip the 2 wires

Last edited:

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
An alternator on my 76 took a dump, when it did it began to back feed. I came outside and saw the cab lights were [dimly] illuminated. On these trucks the cab lights are wired to be on with key on, no bypass or switch for them. I’m sure other things were being back fed, but that was a visual indicator.

Uberbeans

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
QUOTE="Uberbeans, post: 939519, member: 41860"]
Absolutely. It's the first thing I'd disconnect. And didnt you say you changed the pigtail? Make dam sure you didn't flip the 2 wires
[/QUOTE]
Not the pig tail the power lead is what I am considering. I would be interesting if it was the alternator....I will definitely check this out. A simple fix.

Uberbeans

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
An alternator on my 76 took a dump, when it did it began to back feed. I came outside and saw the cab lights were [dimly] illuminated. On these trucks the cab lights are wired to be on with key on, no bypass or switch for them. I’m sure other things were being back fed, but that was a visual indicator.
good advice, though I haven't had this symptom. I wondered if the door switches could allow a parasitic draw even if "open" (doors closed)

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

Yes - my friend Dave had that happening on his 1987 C30. If there is a miswiring that keeps the exciter circuit live, that can cause it to happen even with a perfectly functioning alternator. A bad diode in an otherwise working alternator could do it too - it will charge perfectly fine but when the engine is off it can leak current back through the coils.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'd never heard of an alternator doing this. Good info to know!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaps81dually