No forward gears suddenly, but still have reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcldtmom

Reaction score
First Name
Kandi
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
82 C10: Drove for 2 straight weeks with no issues, then went to drive it next day again and nothing. No forward gears at all. Yet I had reverse all day long. Fluid looked good, right color, and was already topped off. Everything is all original in the truck. Straight 6 and original Transmission. I can't figure it out cuz the truck runs great. It's supposed to go to my son when he gets home from Japan, (Navy) but in the meantime, I was gonna be driving it. We named her Frankie, short for Frankenstylish, cuz she's got plenty of character. So please don't hurt her feelings. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240603_110659_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240603_110659_Maps.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 27

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
82 C10: Drove for 2 straight weeks with no issues, then went to drive it next day again and nothing. No forward gears at all. Yet I had reverse all day long. Fluid looked good, right color, and was already topped off. Everything is all original in the truck. Straight 6 and original Transmission. I can't figure it out cuz the truck runs great. It's supposed to go to my son when he gets home from Japan, (Navy) but in the meantime, I was gonna be driving it. We named her Frankie, short for Frankenstylish, cuz she's got plenty of character. So please don't hurt her feelings. Thank you
Assuming your C10 has a TH350, your low roller one-way clutch has likely failed - common with those transmissions. Anything beyond a stock rebuild should receive a 4L60E center support with new BW low roller one-way clutch assembly...The 4L60E center support swap is drop-in, meaning you don't have to do any other mods to the transmission...Just take the TH350 center support w/its weak low roller clutch out and install a 4L60E center support with its much stronger low-roller and you won't have this sort of failure again.

jcldtmom

Reaction score
First Name
Kandi
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry, I forgot about engine size. She's got the straight 6 in her. Automatic transmission. 2 wheel drive.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Assuming your C10 has a TH350, your low roller one-way clutch has likely failed - common with those transmissions. Anything beyond a stock rebuild should receive a 4L60E center support with new BW low roller one-way clutch assembly...The 4L60E center support swap is drop-in, meaning you don't have to do any other mods to the transmission...Just take the TH350 center support w/its weak low roller clutch out and install a 4L60E center support with its much stronger low-roller and you won't have this sort of failure again.
an upgrade too would be to get a v8 th350, I forgot what exactly was different , I think the amount of clutches?

New modulator, make sure rubber hose sections at the front and end of the vacuum line are new and fit tight, a quality filter and filled with dexron vi, an additional cooler if the truck gets used to tow (not just the end tank)

but op should replace the radiator (or the end tank cooler , which is doable if you dont mind removing the end tank and sealing it up again) and the cooler lines

magnetic inline filter for the outlet to the cooler

just some ideas

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
an upgrade too would be to get a v8 th350, I forgot what exactly was different , I think the amount of clutches?

New modulator, make sure rubber hose sections at the front and end of the vacuum line are new and fit tight, a quality filter and filled with dexron vi, an additional cooler if the truck gets used to tow (not just the end tank)

but op should replace the radiator (or the end tank cooler , which is doable if you dont mind removing the end tank and sealing it up again) and the cooler lines

magnetic inline filter for the outlet to the cooler

just some ideas
Let's just jump right to the LS/NV4500 swap and get r done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelb