New to pickups & fifth wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseClock

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you don’t want anything computer controlled under the hood and are willing to modify accordingly, start with a 94-97 ram 3500 quad cab dually with a 12v Cummins and an nv4500 transmission. Modify that platform. It’ll keep you safer and have less issues with insurance if, God forbid, you get in an accident. If your home state will be smog exempt, there are some 12v swapped newer truck platforms. They’ll have computers just about everywhere but the engine bay at that point, though.

Also, out of curiosity, why the Tesla batteries in the RV? Much better options out there. I don’t believe they’ll sell them to a consumer to be installed on an RV, either. Maybe you have a house to pull them off of though…

If reliability and serviceability are your priorities, I’d go with user serviceable server rack batteries over the Tesla batteries. With server rack batteries made by SOK or similar, you can replace individual cells fairly easily. Not to mention, significantly cheaper per kWh of storage.
That's a good idea on the sok batteries. Just think the powerwall is a robust solution. Didn't think they had to be installed in a house. I've seen off grid folks install in tiny homes on wheels.

Really don't want to go witha ram though. Cant stand the look... if I'm going to pay good money i want to at least not hate looking at it. What problems would the dodge avoid? I would consider it if the argument was strong enough.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A large percentage of the RV world, the folks that camp remotely, has embraced the lithium battery. There’s tons of info online about installation, solar, inverters, generators, etc… but it’s very, very, expensive compared to standard lead acid batteries…

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
A large percentage of the RV world, the folks that camp remotely, has embraced the lithium battery. There’s tons of info online about installation, solar, inverters, generators, etc… but it’s very, very, expensive compared to standard lead acid batteries…
I would add: I have two standard lead acid batteries in my little camp trailer. I can go a week in the boondocks and it barely moves the needle off full charge. (Admittedly that's just running some reading lights in the evening, and the water pump).

I am solar capable but at this point I don't see any benefit in pursuing hooking it up.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
What problems would the dodge avoid?
All of the problems! A square is not equipped to tow a 15,000lb 5er.

Even if you got a dually one ton and put the right engine, transmission, brakes, gear ratio, airbags/suspension; you still have a truck hauling a load at 150%+ it’s rated capacity. There are plenty of liability based arguments for why that can be a bad idea that have been hashed out on the forum many times.

In other words, you’d be on the road living the dream much quicker for roughly half the price by going to with a 12 valve dually.

Another option, get a 40’ class A motorhome and tow a small jeep or pickup behind it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If I were retired and venturing out on a full time basis, I’d convert an old school bus and tow a cj6 or blazer. All old, simple machines working well within their design parameters.

Most of the newer rv/trailers are pretty poorly put together. Even Grand Design got sold to Winnebago. The Midwest manufactured units aren’t great. The PNW builders such as Arctic Fox and Outdoor are still pretty good. Im sure airstream still puts together a decent unit. I like the little dog kennel type ones that Keith has as well, but they’d be a fair bit smaller than what you are after.

At least if you build out a schoolie, you’ll be able to build it well. A house bouncing down the road takes a beating.

Interesting note, some RVs have a disclaimer that the warranty is voided if you full-time. They don’t expect too many trips in that 1-2 year warranty period.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Awesome. I'm going to research this. Which mods should I research? Can I use a supercharger?
12v swapped square body.

I wouldn't run a supercharger. All 12v's are going to be turbo'd as-is. 89-91 didn't have an intercooler, but the 94-98 ones will be best for a swap as they are intercooled and have the P-pump. You can try to find a wrecked 94-98 truck and take the whole drivetrain to swap into a Crew-cab truck. There are companies that make pre-fabbed kits to bolt them right in.
https://aganfabworks.com/product/afw-chevy-cummins-swap-kit-diy/

BaseClock

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All of the problems! A square is not equipped to tow a 15,000lb 5er.

Even if you got a dually one ton and put the right engine, transmission, brakes, gear ratio, airbags/suspension; you still have a truck hauling a load at 150%+ it’s rated capacity.
OK so mechanically its the frame of the car that you're speaking of here right?

BaseClock

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
12v swapped square body.

I wouldn't run a supercharger. All 12v's are going to be turbo'd as-is. 89-91 didn't have an intercooler, but the 94-98 ones will be best for a swap as they are intercooled and have the P-pump. You can try to find a wrecked 94-98 truck and take the whole drivetrain to swap into a Crew-cab truck. There are companies that make pre-fabbed kits to bolt them right in.
https://aganfabworks.com/product/afw-chevy-cummins-swap-kit-diy/
Awesome! Probably should do the 98 Cummins 12v then?

BaseClock

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I were retired and venturing out on a full time basis, I’d convert an old school bus and tow a cj6 or blazer. All old, simple machines working well within their design parameters.

Most of the newer rv/trailers are pretty poorly put together. Even Grand Design got sold to Winnebago. The Midwest manufactured units aren’t great. The PNW builders such as Arctic Fox and Outdoor are still pretty good. Im sure airstream still puts together a decent unit. I like the little dog kennel type ones that Keith has as well, but they’d be a fair bit smaller than what you are after.

At least if you build out a schoolie, you’ll be able to build it well. A house bouncing down the road takes a beating.

Interesting note, some RVs have a disclaimer that the warranty is voided if you full-time. They don’t expect too many trips in that 1-2 year warranty period.

Definitely. Would want to gut any 5th wheel, redo the envelope and insulation.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don’t agree on the school bus conversion. I’ve seen a couple, and know a guy that started one about a dozen years ago, it’s behind his garage.
When it’s stripped out it’s a long narrow steel tube full of windows with zero insulation. Installing plumbing/ holding tanks, electric etc isn’t easy.
The suspension is stout, and there’s no way to level it easily when parked.
By the time everything is engineered and installed it’s still no comparison to mid level travel trailer with at least one slide out in my opinion.

Last edited:

BaseClock

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don’t agree on the school bus conversion. I’ve seen a couple, and know a guy that started one about a dozen years ago, it’s behind his garage.
When it’s stripped out it’s a long narrow steel tube full of windows with zero insulation. Installing plumbing/ holding tanks, electric etc isn’t easy.
The suspension is stout, and there’s no way to level it easily when parked.
By the time everything is engineered and installed it’s still no comparison to mid level travel trailer with at least one slide out in my opinion.
Concur. I would rather pick up a used 5th wheel (that lived in dry climates!) with the intent of restoration and upgrade. Super fun project for somebody like me. Work as an engineer in building design and construction so this is right up my alley. Always love applying things learned in school or work to personal projects.

Are you familiar with plumbing, insulation, and over all building envelope upgrades to fifth wheels and motor homes? Sounds like you might be. Let me know if you are and if you wouldn't mind a DM for input at some point while I'm in planning stages. :) glad I found the square body forum - you guys are cool!

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Concur. I would rather pick up a used 5th wheel (that lived in dry climates!) with the intent of restoration and upgrade. Super fun project for somebody like me. Work as an engineer in building design and construction so this is right up my alley. Always love applying things learned in school or work to personal projects.

Are you familiar with plumbing, insulation, and over all building envelope upgrades to fifth wheels and motor homes? Sounds like you might be. Let me know if you are and if you wouldn't mind a DM for input at some point while I'm in planning stages. :) glad I found the square body forum - you guys are cool!
As I posted before, do some research, decide what kind of RV will fit your needs, there’s travel trailers, fifth wheels, motor homes in Class A, B, & C…. they all have their pros & cons. They all are rolling earth quakes, you’re going to have to do maintenance and repairs. You might want to check into renting one first… I know several folks who thought they wanted to be nomads then found out quick it ain’t so easy…
My wife and I like to get away a couple of times a year but no more than three weeks at a time tops, I get bored in that small of a space without my home, yard and shop building.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawyer0162