Need Help with Rear Brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Go back to post 4. If fluid can't be pushed to the rear there is a restriction. Proceed from the front to the back breaking lines loose to find where fluid ends.

Suggest doing it this way because occasionally gravity bleeding will not work.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Go back to post 4. If fluid can't be pushed to the rear there is a restriction. Proceed from the front to the back breaking lines loose to find where fluid ends.

Suggest doing it this way because occasionally gravity bleeding will not work.
Gravity won't work for sure if there's a residual pressure valve.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The proportion valve is tripped an blocking the rears off. Either recenter it manually or go ahead an bleed a front. That should make it move to block off the front an allow you to bleed the rear. Ive had to go back an forth a few times to get enough pressure in the rear circuit to keep it mostly centered.

It's a safety thing to make sure you have some brakes in the event a line bursts. They make tools to hold the valve centered for bleeding but you can get it done without it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The proportion valve is tripped an blocking the rears off. Either recenter it manually or go ahead an bleed a front. That should make it move to block off the front an allow you to bleed the rear. Ive had to go back an forth a few times to get enough pressure in the rear circuit to keep it mostly centered.

It's a safety thing to make sure you have some brakes in the event a line bursts. They make tools to hold the valve centered for bleeding but you can get it done without it.
Only reason I didn't go there,is he said he bled them with the centering tool in place. My gut said the same thing.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Only reason I didn't go there,is he said he bled them with the centering tool in place. My gut said the same thing.

:doh2: an that's what I get for not reading everything before commenting :sad72:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

I was thinking this too. I have also seen where the light switch in the proportioning valve breaks off and jams the valve. If this happens, you unscrew the broken switch, and pull out the broken switch piece with needle nose pliers. Old AMC's did this all the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo