Need Help with Rear Brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smpoulin1

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 - Silverado
Engine Size
Need some help folks…Can’t seem to get fluid to my rear brakes and my brake light stays on. New proportioning valve (used centering tool to bleed), new master cylinder, blew lines out to ensure no obstructions and still can’t get fluid to the rear. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the lines are clear verified with air from the master to rear cylinder bleeders either the master is bad or improper bleed procedure.

Could try using a NEW pump oil can filled with brake fluid with a piece of hose attached to a line at master. See if any fluid can be pumped back there.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If the rear brakes shoes are not adjusted out to the drums, then you will have trouble bleeding the rear cylinders. Remember the (self) automatic adjusters will only maintain the adjustment. When the shoes are way out of adjustment, the adjusters will not take up any slack.

One trick, to bleed out of adjusted rear shoes, apply the emergency brake. This moves the shoes to the drums. Then you can bleed them. If the e-brake pedal goes to the floor and the drums still turn, shoes are way out of adjustment.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
You said new master cylinder. Is it fully bench bled?
Could be the problem.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Need some help folks…Can’t seem to get fluid to my rear brakes and my brake light stays on. New proportioning valve (used centering tool to bleed), new master cylinder, blew lines out to ensure no obstructions and still can’t get fluid to the rear. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Did you get fluid to the rear while you were bleeding the brakes

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You didn't say year/model. Some of the later HD trucks had a load sensing valve on the rear axle that can cause problems.

smpoulin1

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 - Silverado
Engine Size
If the rear brakes shoes are not adjusted out to the drums, then you will have trouble bleeding the rear cylinders. Remember the (self) automatic adjusters will only maintain the adjustment. When the shoes are way out of adjustment, the adjusters will not take up any slack.

One trick, to bleed out of adjusted rear shoes, apply the emergency brake. This moves the shoes to the drums. Then you can bleed them. If the e-brake pedal goes to the floor and the drums still turn, shoes are way out of adjustment.
Nice tip, will check the adjustment. Thank you.

jtbartsch

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350, 5.7L
What you will need to do is crack the bleeder screws to the rear drums and perform a gravity bleed on both at the same time or individually. Let it sit overnight and check your clear tubing to see if there is fluid in the line. If so then you need to bleed brakes like normal. I just went through exactly what you are talking about and it was very frustrating to say the least.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pull out the bleeder screws and pump the pedal. Sometimes trash, rust, etc gets stuck in there and they won't bleed. I'd put new screws in while I was there too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo