Need an EFI recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here’s a thread to my build

Truck is a 350/4l60e. Dad took a GM efi system out of a Chevy van and installed it on the truck so it already has electric fuel pump. It has never run quite right because of the cam size and the fact that it never had a computer or chip tune. We are not interested in getting it tuned, I looked into that on the gearhead forum a decade ago, and they said that with the computer we had, the truck shouldn’t even be running.

My brother wants to go ahead and put a standalone EFI unit on it. Recommendations for under $1000?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Under $1000? I paid $1400 for mine 4 yrs ago and they are now double that.

Might have to look for a used one.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You probably have too much cam,only reason I can think of someone saying TBI won't work.TBI is manifold pressure controlled big cams don't play well. With it. If you want to do some swapping around Vortec injection,TPI injection,or LTI injection might be a good swap. They are mass air flow controlled. Also Holley 2d injection,still TBI but don't think it used a map sensor. All this is from memory so do a little research or wait for others to chip in. Big Cam with TPIvwill need a bigger throttle body lower manifold and runners.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I see them with regularity on marketplace, Craigslist and such at that price range out on the left coast but almost always taken off something for any number of reasons.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here’s a thread to my build

Truck is a 350/4l60e. Dad took a GM efi system out of a Chevy van and installed it on the truck so it already has electric fuel pump. It has never run quite right because of the cam size and the fact that it never had a computer or chip tune. We are not interested in getting it tuned, I looked into that on the gearhead forum a decade ago, and they said that with the computer we had, the truck shouldn’t even be running.

My brother wants to go ahead and put a standalone EFI unit on it. Recommendations for under $1000?
Under $1000? I paid $1400 for mine 4 yrs ago and they are now double that.

Might have to look for a used one.
Why would they have gotten more expensive overtime? That’s not how technology works. FI tech had them for well Under $1000 a decade ago seems like.

Edit: unless Biden Harris

Last edited:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You probably have too much cam,only reason I can think of someone saying TBI won't work.TBI is manifold pressure controlled big cams don't play well. With it. If you want to do some swapping around Vortec injection,TPI injection,or LTI injection might be a good swap. They are mass air flow controlled. Also Holley 2d injection,still TBI but don't think it used a map sensor. All this is from memory so do a little research or wait for others to chip in. Big Cam with TPIvwill need a bigger throttle body lower manifold and runners.
I don’t know much about these older systems, and since they are so old, I really don’t care to learn or play with other options. It’s pretty much either a standalone EFI or LS swap it. Unfortunately, this is a Frankentruck, with parts having being robbed off of like two other vehicles and put on this one. The truck runs pretty much normal and drives, but you can’t put the knock sensor in the block. You have to plug it into the harness and tie wrap it to something in the engine bay so the truck will operate. this truck down the road with plenty of power, but as you can probably determine, the computer isn’t getting that reading so it’s running off. I don’t think the cam is too big. I’ll have to find the numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy