Mirror quality question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First off I did do a lot of research and decided to post this since things change constantly. I bought a pair of the "dumbo" mirrors from a AMD and they came in a box with another non heard of name. I bought the stainless version. I could have made these work but the cover that slides up that covers the mounting plate, (the show piece), is very flimsy at the top and doesn't fit the plastic gasket for squat. Being we are building a show truck this will not work and I'm sending them back. I can keep buying different brands until I get something decent but has anybody bought some lately that look solid? Thanks.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I work for AMD in QC and R&D, so I can shed some light. 1st just as an FYI, we don't make those mirrors, hence the "X-parts" logo on the website vs our AMD logo. Unfortunately, nobody makes a mirror that will truly be up to "show truck" standards for an OE dumbo mirror. They just don't exist at this point in the restoration world. These mirrors are the only tooling out there as far as I'm aware and the bases are actually tooled off the G-van, that's why they don't fit our trucks very well.

My suggestion to you would be to find a good set of originals and restore them yourself or find a place that's up to the task. Or, if the truck is not painted yet, now would be a good time to change to a different mirror. There are lots of options out there for other quality mirrors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any part logo since I ordered from Summit Racing. These aren't really all that bad and I would run them on anything other than this particular truck. I've looked at many other options but don't really like any.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any part logo since I ordered from Summit Racing. These aren't really all that bad and I would run them on anything other than this particular truck. I've looked at many other options but don't really like any.
Yeah, they're not bad pieces. I'd run them on my patina driver '85. But for a show truck, I certainly understand wanting something better. Unfortunately in the dumbo mirrors, there's just not anything better right now

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just bought new mirrors (not from AMD) for another project, and yes, they are Cr%p. One doesn't even hold its own weight and just flops. I will have to modify it.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, it surely sux. I originally wanted to use the "dumbo" mounts with the 97 Dodge power mirrors (that look similar) But even being electric and adjustable when you close the door the whole thing would prob still move. I'm leaning to going to the small "sport" mirrors that some came with. I don't like any of the aftermarket options or the prices.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Show us some pictures of the mirrors so we can all know what you are talking about. I bought some cheap plastic chrome ones a couple of years ago, for my GMC, and they fit pretty good and look cool, but they aren't level. The original stainless ones on my K30 are much better. I just had to polish them and put new gaskets on them.

Attachments

• 20220430_142455.jpg
    20220430_142455.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240127_095128.jpg
    20240127_095128.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 30

79K10Step

Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought a pair for my 79 k10 From LMC they are not the best in the world but they are stainless and look good. (See my Profile Pic) The only problem I had was that wind would blow them back so I had to put some large diameter wire heat shrink wrap on them a couple layers now much better.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Show us some pictures of the mirrors so we can all know what you are talking about. I bought some cheap plastic chrome ones a couple of years ago, for my GMC, and they fit pretty good and look cool, but they aren't level. The original stainless ones on my K30 are much better. I just had to polish them and put new gaskets on them.

Ok, I'll take some

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought a pair for my 79 k10 From LMC they are not the best in the world but they are stainless and look good. (See my Profile Pic) The only problem I had was that wind would blow them back so I had to put some large diameter wire heat shrink wrap on them a couple layers now much better.
Do you remember what name was on the box? I'm thinking there may only be one place making them and distributing them out.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
There is a bunch of them on ebay for less than $50.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Slightly off topic, but an acidic wheel cleaner sprayed on the stainless will clean it right up. Don’t leave it on very long, maybe 30 seconds and wipe. All the corrosion will come right off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outrageous