Making sure inverted flare cooler lines seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, the truck is getting ready to go back together and back on the ground.

I have a Cold Case aftermarket aluminum radiator, and concerned about over tightening the inverted flares into the bungs for the cooler lines- soft aluminum obviously.

I know the flare does the job for the seal, but since I know I can’t really tighten the fittings TOO tight without the aluminum threads getting tired, is there any suggestions for something to put on the threads, if nothing else than for vibration resistance? I was thinking a small amount of Ultra Black or Ultra Grey RTV that would help with both vibration and provide a small measure of resistance to weeping. Or for that matter, maybe a small amount of blue 242 Loctite? Thought I would ask here before I finalize everything and fire it up today. Thanks in advance.

Edit- even if you don’t have an answer, if you know a member that would, please tag them here. I’ll go ahead and add @NickTransmissions .

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The flair does the sealing, don’t distort it by over tightening.
Mating a metal line to an aluminum fitting, two different metals, use
Anti-Seize.

Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think the deeper question is, why are you wanting to use a sealer on a connection that is clearly made to be used without a sealer? When I was much younger I really really wanted to use sealer on everything because I believed it would improve the ability to seal. After speaking with (and listening to) engine builders and product manufactures I realized I didn't need to feel compelled to use sealers on connections that don't need it.
I needed to get used to trusting that the engineered connection would work the way it was designed to work, and leave feelings out of the decision making process. I still fight the desire to over use sealers, the same way my brother fights the urge to massively over tighten every nut bolt and screw he can touch. Lol
Fight the urge, you can do it.
There is no reason I can think of for the manufacture to use soft aluminum for the trans line connections, easy to test the hardness with a file, to confirm.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I think the deeper question is, why are you wanting to use a sealer on a connection that is clearly made to be used without a sealer? When I was much younger I really really wanted to use sealer on everything because I believed it would improve the ability to seal. After speaking to engine builders and product manufactures I realized I didn't need to feel compelled to use sealers on connections that don't need it.
I needed to get used to trusting that the engineered connection would work the way it was designed to work, and leave feelings out of the decision making process. I still fight the desire to over use sealers, the same way my brother fights the urge to massively over tighten every nut bolt and screw he can touch. Lol
It's hard to do, trusting those pesky engineers...lol...

A few years ago I was preparing to make a 14 hour round trip with Crusty Biscuit, and after getting the front end aligned, I wanted to rotate the tires. I was running late on time, and my neighbor offered to help with the rear tires, as my compressor wasn't recharging the air quick enough and it was getting dark. He brought over his battery impact, and he ran those lugs on. I didn't want to discourage him or say something to make him stop, but I was also hoping the studs didn't bust. Luckily nothing broke or came apart, but those lugnuts were TIGHT when I went to swap rims.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think the deeper question is, why are you wanting to use a sealer on a connection that is clearly made to be used without a sealer? When I was much younger I really really wanted to use sealer on everything because I believed it would improve the ability to seal. After speaking with (and listening to) engine builders and product manufactures I realized I didn't need to feel compelled to use sealers on connections that don't need it.
There is no reason I can think of for the manufacture to use soft aluminum for the trans line connections, easy to test the hardness with a file, to confirm.
Paranoia mostly. I was just wondering what what would be preferred if one wanted a backup for sealing, since I’m sure that the aluminum threads are pretty soft and won’t take much torque.

I actually placed a call to Cold Case this morning, they recommended nothing on it at all and are confident that it will seal with even light torque. They don’t recommend any anti seize and they said Teflon will actually give a higher chance of stripping the threads.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Paranoia mostly. I was just wondering what what would be preferred if one wanted a backup for sealing, since I’m sure that the aluminum threads are pretty soft and won’t take much torque.

I actually placed a call to Cold Case this morning, they recommended nothing on it at all and are confident that it will seal with even light torque. They don’t recommend any anti seize and they said Teflon will actually give a higher chance of stripping the threads.
The bung for the line fitting shouldnt be aluminum. the threads between the bung and the radiator would be the aluminum

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The bung for the line fitting shouldnt be aluminum. the threads between the bung and the radiator would be the aluminum
Hard to tell if they put some kind of different metal insert in there but you’re probably right. The fitting is brass.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here is the fitting and the radiator threads.
You must be registered for see images attach

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help and responses. Back together, trans refilled and no leaks. Fingers crossed!

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
It's hard to do, trusting those pesky engineers...lol...

A few years ago I was preparing to make a 14 hour round trip with Crusty Biscuit, and after getting the front end aligned, I wanted to rotate the tires. I was running late on time, and my neighbor offered to help with the rear tires, as my compressor wasn't recharging the air quick enough and it was getting dark. He brought over his battery impact, and he ran those lugs on. I didn't want to discourage him or say something to make him stop, but I was also hoping the studs didn't bust. Luckily nothing broke or came apart, but those lugnuts were TIGHT when I went to swap rims.
What's even worse is when they don't tighten one, skip one, but tighten them in a 1 2 3 order and warp your rims or brake drums.

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krash