Installed new plastic/aluminum radiator, it works but.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Needed to make some minor modifications to get the upper clamps on.
My original brass/copper radiator had too many leaks for the repairman to economically fix, so I grudgingly bought the P162 replacement from EBay for ~$120. I anguished a lot before I placed the order, but, it arrived today, and I got it installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Appears to be good quality, don't care for the rubber capped heater hose connection or the mid tank threaded sensor hub, but that's how it is. Upper and Lower radiator hose connections are the exact same size and core width is 27" so it fits perfectly in the lower rubber saddles.
The drivers side upper saddle fits ok:

But for some reason, the passengers side upper bracket needed to be trimmed to clear the radiator fill neck:

My original radiator fill neck and cap were also very tight in that area, enough to have me always cussing when I had to remove the cap. Best I can tell with measuring is that the new plastic radiator header is about 1/4" narrower, bringing the radiator cap even closed to the hold down bracket. More cussing, but 5 minutes with the hack saw, grinder and black spray paint was all I needed to make it fit.
Refilled with one gallon of coolant concentrate and one gallon of distilled water, ran for 15 minutes, up to temp with no leaks found.

Also removed and cleaned out the dirt and scum from the coolant recovery tank. Even painted the words on the cap. Wife said that was again too much, but I like it.

Will monitor for leaks, but for now I'm back on the road!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacG