Ignition switch upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
78 Big 10.
When I got this truck, my son-in-law enlightened me as to how easy it is to punch out these ignition switches. Then nothing more than a large flat blade screwdriver is used as the key.
Well buggers! That just won't do. I need at least a few seconds to rack a round. So a new ignition switch was ordered. Borrowed the steering wheel puller and dove in. In the manuals it showed some models with a cross bolt to make the said "switch punching" a bit more of a challenge. Perfect. This might be the few seconds we be lookin' for.
The nice thing is the steering column is a die cast allow. (i.e. easy to drill and tap)
After packing gauze in all the possible nooks and crannys for chips to hide in, a precise guess-timated location of the cross bolt was selected and center punched and the drilling commenced, followed by a vigerous tapping. Then the shop vac cleaned up.
The cylinder came with a notch so the cross bolt could pass thru. I used a long 10-24 set screw as the cross bolt and dabbed the threads with clear fingernail polish to keep it in place, yet removable if need be.
Now they may still be able to gut the switch, but the flat blade screw driver is useless and the steering wheel lock pin can not be accessed. That's all the time I need.

Attachments

• 20231202_161514.jpg
    20231202_161514.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231202_161615.jpg
    20231202_161615.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231202_133019.jpg
    20231202_133019.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 17

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A screwdriver in the key and tumblers isn't the usual method of stealing these trucks. They smack the column with a hammer then pull the rod that works the ignition switch. Less than 10 seconds is all it takes.This is so common that they make collars to go around the column to prevent this. I'll see if I can find a pic brb. This is so common look how many ebay vendors are selling the repair pieces.
Far right pic is a column guard it's made out of stamped steel so they can't just smack it with a hammer and shatter it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_230550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_230550_Chrome.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240619_230503_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_230503_Chrome.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

hey mister

Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I thought about a hidden switch or a battery cut-out.
Just haven't figured out which one or where.
And the keyless options are just about as easy to hack as the stock column.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I thought about a hidden switch or a battery cut-out.
Just haven't figured out which one or where.
And the keyless options are just about as easy to hack as the stock column.
Could do that but using a low amp circuit is easter. Splice access is on steering column, short wire run. Of course everything will need to be hidden. Thieves for the most part are not very smart. Kids on a joy ride or meth users. Did see a SB stripped to the bare frame once but don't think that is common.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I still think an instant on alarm,no lights,no stickers,leave the doors unlocked. Open the door,SURPRISE everyone around knows you're in the truck. And no windows get broken,and no columns get broken. Problem with hidden kill switches is they've already broken into the truck and broken the column,ignition switch,whatever,before they find out it won't start.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I still think an instant on alarm,no lights,no stickers,leave the doors unlocked. Open the door,SURPRISE everyone around knows you're in the truck. And no windows get broken,and no columns get broken. Problem with hidden kill switches is they've already broken into the truck and broken the column,ignition switch,whatever,before they find out it won't start.
Good point could do both.

Owned an 89 Maxima stolen from work. Although rudimentary it had an audible alarm, didn't slow them down. However, this group was more of a professional nature. Borrowed the car to make a drug run to Idaho. Reason I know that is the police got in a chase the next week in a different stolen car running drugs. Had video of them stealing my car. Guy had on the same coat in the news video.

I got the car back later same day undamaged. Only difference was millage driven and they apparently didn't like my music. Had a different CD in the player.

YakkoWarner

Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
A screwdriver in the key and tumblers isn't the usual method of stealing these trucks. They smack the column with a hammer then pull the rod that works the ignition switch. Less than 10 seconds is all it takes.This is so common that they make collars to go around the column to prevent this. I'll see if I can find a pic brb. This is so common look how many ebay vendors are selling the repair pieces.
Far right pic is a column guard it's made out of stamped steel so they can't just smack it with a hammer and shatter it.

My Suburban has a similar version of this (installed by previous owner) and overall I think its a good idea. I had an aqquaintance who had a similar year Suburban stolen, they pawned all his tools, picked up strippers and then intentionally punched it into a tree or pole completely totalling it. Of course they were not required to actually pay for it, which I think is totally wrong.

The downside is that now I need to disassemble the column to tighten the commonly occuring loose tilt mechanism bolts, and whatever that anti-theft collar is made out of has destroyed most of a complete set of Kobalt drill bits with little more than a small dimple to show for it. I am going to have to remove the whole column (and if I can find one possibly just replace it - preferrably one without the tilt and its automatically loosening bolts) or get positively medieval on it with either a SawzAll or angle grinder. I don't want to do that kind of brute-force cutting with it in the truck with sparks and filings going everywhere.

I'd like to retain or replace the anti-theft collar, but I'd like to find one that has some way to be unlocked and removed when necessary to work on the column. The one on my current column seems to be held on with some sort of hardened pins driven into blind holes, very good for keeping those with ill intent from removing it but equally effective at making the column effective disposable when those tilt mechanism bolts work loose.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My Suburban has a similar version of this (installed by previous owner) and overall I think its a good idea. I had an aqquaintance who had a similar year Suburban stolen, they pawned all his tools, picked up strippers and then intentionally punched it into a tree or pole completely totalling it. Of course they were not required to actually pay for it, which I think is totally wrong.

The downside is that now I need to disassemble the column to tighten the commonly occuring loose tilt mechanism bolts, and whatever that anti-theft collar is made out of has destroyed most of a complete set of Kobalt drill bits with little more than a small dimple to show for it. I am going to have to remove the whole column (and if I can find one possibly just replace it - preferrably one without the tilt and its automatically loosening bolts) or get positively medieval on it with either a SawzAll or angle grinder. I don't want to do that kind of brute-force cutting with it in the truck with sparks and filings going everywhere.

I'd like to retain or replace the anti-theft collar, but I'd like to find one that has some way to be unlocked and removed when necessary to work on the column. The one on my current column seems to be held on with some sort of hardened pins driven into blind holes, very good for keeping those with ill intent from removing it but equally effective at making the column effective disposable when those tilt mechanism bolts work loose.
They make them that unlock and also cover the key and tumblers, I just think locking the thing on every night would get to be a hassle. I would think you could grind axcess holes,not drill but die grind,and drive the pins out and reuse yours. JB weld over your access holes and paint when done.

YakkoWarner

Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
They make them that unlock and also cover the key and tumblers, I just think locking the thing on every night would get to be a hassle. I would think you could grind axcess holes,not drill but die grind,and drive the pins out and reuse yours. JB weld over your access holes and paint when done.

I'm going to get more involved with it if and when I can get the column out, it will be a lot easier out on the bench. Its a lower priority right now though since I need to be able to reliably drive the truck before worrying about someone stealing it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krash