How close are the aftermarket doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I was on AMD's website. Didn't see the C10 doors have any mirror mounting holes. I understand some people want to customize their doors with different mirrors or no mirrors at all. What about the guys that want to use the factory door mirror hole locations? Thank You.
We didn't put holes in the doors because there were several different mirror styles offered, it's easier to drill holes than fill holes. There were the small sport mirrors, the more common "dumbo" mirrors and a couple different towing style mirrors. Can't put holes for all those mirrors.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Double post

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Does anyone offer decent door skins, I'd skin an O.E door before I'd go after market door. Hmmmm,funny I didn't feel that way 20 years ago. I wonder why?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Does anyone offer decent door skins, I'd skin an O.E door before I'd go after market door. Hmmmm,funny I didn't feel that way 20 years ago. I wonder why?
What are the most noticeable differences between factory replacement and aftermarket doors?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What are the most noticeable differences between factory replacement and aftermarket doors?
I don't like aftermarket body panels period,it's not just doors. And with all the complaints about fitment issues everyone's posting. I'd just skin my door. For those that don't know,skinning a door. If you take a grinder and run it around the very out side edge of the door,if you grind through just a few thousandth the whole outer sheet metal of the door will come off. You peel off the old crimp position a new outer skin a couple of tacks some seam sealer and recrimp. The door fits just like the one that came off. Because it is the one that came off. Actually you skin it without taking it off. Only skins I've done were O.E. skins when I worked in the dealer body shop. That's why I asked if there are good skins available.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't like aftermarket body panels period,it's not just doors. And with all the complaints about fitment issues everyone's posting. I'd just skin my door. For those that don't know,skinning a door. If you take a grinder and run it around the very out side edge of the door,if you grind through just a few thousandth the whole outer sheet metal of the door will come off. You peel off the old crimp position a new butter skin a couple of tacks some seam sealer and recrimp. The door fits just like the one that came off. Because it is the one that came off. Actually you skin it without taking it off. Only skins I've done were O.E. skins when I worked in the dealer body shop. That's why I asked if there are good skins available.
The reason I asked is because I have 2 NOS GM doors, and 2 more new doors that I don't know if they are GM or aftermarket.

Yes, the body guys at work used to re-skin doors just how you described. Now the doors just get replaced, it's quicker. Less people here in the shop, "time is money."

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
is that the same as the cutoff for vent window design?
Welllllllllllll….theres like 5 or 6 different vent windows throughout the years. But only 2 are ever made and they basically just coincide with the body change, 73-80 and 81-91

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Not that I know of. Whatever floats your boat, but I’ve seen plenty of OE doors not fit as well

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Between a quality aftermarket door like ours and factory, there are none other than the holes for the mirrors not being there. We reverse engineer off originals and match everything. As far as our stuff, anytime there’s a fit difference, it’s just because of the wide variance in factory build quality back then. Basically whatever one we developed off is just different than the one the customer has. It’d be the same whether you reference our “aftermarket door” or the “OE sample” we used for development.

As for lesser quality doors, they’re usually thinner, have more jagged edges and will be more “universal” with holes and locations of recesses/strengthening ribs/etc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukas