Holding the bed together ideas... fixed is fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So my bedsides are really taking a turn for the worse

And i mean, they will turn downward toward the wheel if you apply enough pull. I can pull them with my own body weight, and theres a solid few inches of travel. Worse toward the rear.

My question is, do you guys think I could anchor the sides, per se with steel cable?
You must be registered for see images attach

If you see, I have a non stock bumper(60s ford?) and I was thinking taking steel cable and running from the safety chain holes (redundant, mine have reinforced loops on the rear of the bumper for big chains) and running along the bumper(might need to drill another hole) and finding a place in the bedside to anchor. then take a winch or a ratchet strap and pull the sides into alignment and place the proper tension in the cable. Im just spitballing but was curious for ideas or if others had done the same. Yes, I know the bed is shot. I found some moldy plywood thats thick and sturdy yet Im going to use for the bed floor. It was the perfect widrth between fender wells, just gotta cut pieces foro the front and back on sides.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd say to weld up some braces out of scrap before using cables and bolts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No welder, and im not good with one to boot. Cant drive anywhere to get it done and yeah. I might eventually. When I figure out how to wire my welder up safely and get PPE and get good with stick. I have a welder thats the size of a dresser for clothes but its straight outta the 60s i think. Dials with needles rather than knobs, large pull switches, etc. And no electrode or ground cable that I can find.

And last time I welded was 7 years ago as a freshman in hs. I welded stick for about 10 minutes, couldnt get the inward as you move along down, kept losing the arch because it got too far. And wire feed once, and that was relatively ok. but I dont have a WF welder. or shielding gases. or PPE.

I DO have plenty of steel stock, lots and lots.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Plywood and sheet metal screws then.

I'm not a good welder, but I can grind to make it look like I am.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Plywood and sheet metal screws then.

I'm not a good welder, but I can grind to make it look like I am.
For the bed, yes haha. But as far as keeping the sides aligned or just from breaking you think steel cable might work? And any idea how to anchor to the bedside with enough surface area or strength to not just pull through?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!
I thought I was wholefully bad at spray paint till I realized my grandpa replaced all the tips of spray paint with brake clean tips so he could get a lot of coverage. He never worried about finish on stuff he spray painted. Anything nice He rolled or brushed.... that includes tractors and vehicle stuff. Believe me, brushed paint shows 20 years later. Bad. Except when he did the truck, he did that with sprayers, solvents, body work(no bondo, all lead), other chemicals that are prob illegal now. Good stuff.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We were just talking about him. Ask @89Suburban for some Self Tappers and a Rivet gun. He'll hook you up.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was considering self tapping but Id definitely consider rivets. I got about 500 rivets and more and like 4 rivet tools. I think I got a pneumatic one somewhere. Teach me your ways. (grandpa and uncle did a lot of race car stuff, rivets are body panels in dirt racing, and you replaced them often)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was considering self tapping but Id definitely consider rivets. I got about 500 rivets and more and like 4 rivet tools. I think I got a pneumatic one somewhere. Teach me your ways. (grandpa and uncle did a lot of race car stuff, rivets are body panels in dirt racing, and you replaced them often)
Paw Paw will learn you how to do it.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the bed, yes haha. But as far as keeping the sides aligned or just from breaking you think steel cable might work? And any idea how to anchor to the bedside with enough surface area or strength to not just pull through?

How functional do you want the bed to be after this? LOL

Maybe 2x4s cut to an angle to brace from the inner part of the top rail down to the new plywood deck. It would keep the sides from falling off, I would think.

If you use cables, you'd probably have to drill clean through and use eye bolts and fender washers to mount too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How functional do you want the bed to be after this? LOL

Maybe 2x4s cut to an angle to brace from the inner part of the top rail down to the new plywood deck. It would keep the sides from falling off, I would think.

If you use cables, you'd probably have to drill clean through and use eye bolts and fender washers to mount too.
i wouldnt mind drilling. The 2x4 thing, the wood i have is moldy and kinda weak, just enough to honestly line the bottom but not be a base of any kind

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Camper shell bolted to both sides would hold it together! Just a thought. Or what is referred to as a Whale tail!:cheers::cheers:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Camper shell bolted to both sides would hold it together! Just a thought. Or what is referred to as a Whale tail!:cheers::cheers:
The metal rack on my bed is actually the thing keeping it onthe truck at the moment. It mounts to the frame and through the posts. Im talking about straightening and reinforcing the rear, as it only mounts in the front and its bowed out in the back. but i dont want access to the bed impeded, which is why im tossing ideas of anchoring cable out of the path(cable can make turns) and holding tension.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
For all the fooling around you're considering, you're still ahead imo to just build a simple flat deck.
If you can't get your welder up and running, check with a local tool rental place. They often have simple AC welders for rent. Get a correct rod
and 'relearn' what you did in school. You don't need need KaneKid welds.
All you need is the frame from steel and use planks for the deck.
All the work you're considering to save your rusted hulk will be in vain...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83-highsierra-4x4