Help finding a short, Who's good at ELECTRICAL???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pull a different fuse every night. When it stops draining the battery you found the circuit. That will narrow it down quickly. I have a solution but I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Should show something? It's late, tomorrow will check a couple vehicles like you have that hooked up.

Using a shunt many vehicles will show a small MA draw. Without it should show a large one...... provided the draw is still present.

Will get back in the morning.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Should show something? It's late, tomorrow will check a couple vehicles like you have that hooked up.

Using a shunt many vehicles will show a small MA draw. Without it should show a large one...... provided the draw is still present.

Will get back in the morning.
Thanks. What is a SHUNT? Something I can Buy? :cheers:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I have a solution but I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
Please tell or PM me. I am tired of this and would like to figure this out. Electrical is my weak side. Very weak!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Thanks. What is a SHUNT? Something I can Buy? :cheers:
It’s basically a permanent installation of what you’re doing but it goes on the positive side. (I think). It’s used to measure current draw. Common homeowner application would be in a camper so you can see what components use how much current draw. Like to calculate how long your batteries will last. A shunt I’m sure can measure small currents but it’s typically used for larger currents, but you can buy/size them for whatever. I could be wrong in my understanding but I don’t understand what the advantage would be for diagnosing a problem other than having a constantly visible readout until you fix the problem.
@fast 99, I’m learning here, what would be the advantage of installing a shunt to diagnose a presumably single issue like this?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Ok, I get 0.00 still. I'm guessing this is going to be something I need to leave to experts. I know online help is really hard when
the people that are helping cant see whats in front of them. Im gonna try a different multimeter with the 10A setting and see if
I can get a draw.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Ok that’s perplexing! You’re doing it right.
Before I replied earlier I went out and checked the 86 that I knew has a parasitic draw. Digital multimeter like yours but much older. That’s how I knew I had a 40mA draw like I said. lol.
Just to make sure I wasn’t giving bad direction..lol. I’m no expert either.
I might suggest reading the manual for your multimeter? Does the “range” button do anything? You should not see 0’s if you know you have a draw.
Also test what it shows if you create a draw (a small one, like the dome light, something that draws less than 10A).

Side question, you said that battery is only 4 months old. Why does it look kinda crusty around the caps like it’s off gassing or leaking around the caps? Maybe it’s just the photos but I wouldn’t expect any gunk around the caps where you add water.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
K so I was intrigued and looked up the owners manual for that meter and looks like you’re doing everything right, now.
You set volts to DC default is AC.
You’re on auto ranging. Note the cutoff between mA setting and A setting is .4A or 400mA. It’s possible the 10A plug was/is where you need to be if you have larger draw.
You’re on auto setting which auto ranges the sensing.
The instructions did say supposed to disconnect the power source, then hook it up then reconnect power. (+ side of battery in your case)
Idk if that will make a difference. Easy to try.
Last thing I can think is did you blow either of the fuses and is that making the meter not read?
Good luck!

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Unplug the two wire connection on the alternator with everything else as normal and see if the draw goes away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cousin_Eddie