Help diagnose squeak/squeal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robm630

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.2L
So... my c10 with a th700-r4 has developed a low speed squeak/ intermittent squeal. It only happens below 60kph. In drive, not reverse. And I thought it might be the driveshaft, so over the last week I rebuilt the entire driveshaft, 3x new u-joints and new center/carrier bearing. And buffed it up and painted it, and it's super nice now, and that had solved a vibration I knew was from a bad ujoint. But the squeal/squeak has persisted.

When I was installing the front half of the driveshaft I turned the tranny while it was in neutral and it did squeak even just at slow speed... is this just going to be the seals on the output that the shaft slides into? Or do I have something bad happening in there..

Edit: forgot to mention. If I'm on, or ride the brakes. The squeak completely disappears... it's not any of the wheels/brakes either. When I had it on Jack's I spun everything.. it's emanating from the back of the transmission.
from

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Did you grease the output seal before installing shaft??

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Well, could be a trans problem. But, you could try some Teflon grease on the output splines, grease up the inside of the yoke.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'll give this a shot later this week.
Get the truck up on all four jack stands (or a lift), put the key on, engine off thn shift the trans into neutral. Then go under the vehicle and spin the drive shaft clockwise as it would spin when in Drive - if you hear squealing sound coming from the transmission, record it the post it to Youtube - share the public link here...

If it's what i think it is, it's totally normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max Headroom