HEI module dwell time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Many times I've told people on here that to the best of my knowledge only GM and NAPA premium ignition modules vary dwell. Some of you realize it's important,some are like WTF is he talking about. I just stumbled across an article explaining dwell and ignition modules and how to check. Something this article doesn't cover,or I skimmed it too quick and missed it it,. Dwell is the amount of on vs. off time on the coil and module,too much on time is going to cause modules and coils to fail early due to excessive heat. Which is what concerns me about dwell.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Interesting read Rick. As you might remember GM called out 28-32 degrees of dwell on the 8 cylinder, point distributor. I was taught to try for closer to 28 degrees because as the rubbing block wears, the dwell increases. The change in dwell also effects the timing. So always set dwell first, then check timing.

@Rusty Nail Hey Rusty, Rick said "dwell"

Hey, who knows what point float is?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Interesting read Rick. As you might remember GM called out 28-32 degrees of dwell on the 8 cylinder, point distributor. I was taught to try for closer to 28 degrees because as the rubbing block wears, the dwell increases. The change in dwell also effects the timing. So always set dwell first, then check timing.

@Rusty Nail Hey Rusty, Rick said "dwell"

Another neat trick was run a dual point distributor wired to a toggle switch,set dwell different between the 2, flip the switch to run on one or the other to gain or lose a couple degrees of timing. Before they had Knock sensors.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wow.^

Lemme dwell on that a minute.
Wait.

You must be registered for see images attach

As we see here (example given) dwell can have more that one meaning.

Anyone know the term used for a word that can be both a Noun AND a Verb?

I think it's a

collocation​

Hope this helps!
:waytogo:

Thanks @turbo4wheel?
Did I miss the joke?

Ive got a new gig. Cant play online all night anymore.
I'm now @ City Hall!

Moar Joe Walsh?! Sheesh!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Moar Joe Walsh!
What are the chances?

Hold on.
I am creating my own reality.
You're watching.

She's gonna be a real knockout. ;)

Last edited:

Tonimus

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Used to roll around with an extra HEI module in my '78 K25. Got me out of a jam once or twice. Nowadays, HEI distributors are so cheap, I have a whole spare in the race tool box.

JD Miller

Reaction score
First Name
JD
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
This made for higher potential energy to be stored in the coil. GM took advantage of the electrical power by increasing the spark plug gap from the previously customary0.035 inch to 0.060 to 0.080 inch.
Really? What years models are they talking about. My 81 k20 plug gap is specs is .035 .
That article is pretty vague

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Basically same as valve float. Inability to control opening and closing. Solving point float sounds easy, increase closing spring tension. Problem with that is increased rubbing block wear and wear to advance pin, especially on Fords.

A friend had a Sun distributor machine. Was educational testing various points and seeing the actual RPM they lose control. Some failed at rather low speeds.

When HEI's came out many local racers changed to that distributor. HEI's have dependable spark until the 6500 RPM area. Good enough for low dollar hobby class racing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manosmanotas