HEI module dwell time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I've heard a lot about module failures over the years and guys carrying spares. But I've installed several HEIs in 50s-70s project vehicles starting in mid-1990s, and none of those ever had a module, pickup, or coil failure. Some had stock internals, others were upgraded to MSD module, coil, rotor, and cap back when those kits were made in the USA and reasonably priced. Also put a Proform HEI in my 82 C10 in 2015.

I also had stock GM HEIs in four 74-81 Chevy and Buick daily drivers that I can think of. None of them ever failed. However, your comments and others make me want to carry a spare module. Just need to find one that isn't Chinese junk. What do you all recommend?
When HEI first came out, the modules did have some reliability issues. It didn’t take long for Delco to figure it out and solve the issue. Unfortunately, the bad reputation still lingers.

Even counting the time working in a dealership service department , I bet I have only replaced a dozen ignition modules over the years. I have never personally had one fail in one of my vehicles, however I did have a friend who’s car would die after it got hot.

If someone is having repeated module failure, either they are using junk parts, or the aren’t using the correct THERMAL heat transfer paste. Don’t use dielectric grease!!

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you, I learned something today.

I had a truck that was running great then one morning started running poorly, I determined it was spark or timing and threw a complete distributor at it and solved the problem. I now understand why.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard a lot about module failures over the years and guys carrying spares. But I've installed several HEIs in 50s-70s project vehicles starting in mid-1990s, and none of those ever had a module, pickup, or coil failure. Some had stock internals, others were upgraded to MSD module, coil, rotor, and cap back when those kits were made in the USA and reasonably priced. Also put a Proform HEI in my 82 C10 in 2015.

I also had stock GM HEIs in four 74-81 Chevy and Buick daily drivers that I can think of. None of them ever failed. However, your comments and others make me want to carry a spare module. Just need to find one that isn't Chinese junk. What do you all recommend?

I've had a couple coils fail and at least one pickup coil, but can't remember any modules (of the large cap variety) failing on my own vehicles. I remember several customer vehicles with a failed module though. I read on here a while back that the Napa Echlin TP-55 (going off memory here) was a good one to buy, so that's what I have as spares.

When HEI first came out, the modules did have some reliability issues. It didn’t take long for Delco to figure it out and solve the issue. Unfortunately, the bad reputation still lingers.

Even counting the time working in a dealership service department , I bet I have only replaced a dozen ignition modules over the years. I have never personally had one fail in one of my vehicles, however I did have a friend who’s car would die after it got hot.

If someone is having repeated module failure, either they are using junk parts, or the aren’t using the correct THERMAL heat transfer paste. Don’t use dielectric grease!!

I know we've had the discussion about the paste a few times in the past. I've never had issues with using dielectric grease. However, this last time I was putting a distributor together I decided I'd use the paste... I couldn't find any. Napa was able to dig up a part number for the stuff, but it showed it was unavailable. I wound up at O'Reilly and they didn't have any either, but the guy behind the counter went picking through ignition module boxes until he found one with the heat paste packet in it. He simply gave it to me, lol.

What is a common place that heat paste can be bought?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
As most of you know I drive GM's, but I work on Ford's.
Ford dealer will have the paste. I would think GM dealers would have it too.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've had a couple coils fail and at least one pickup coil, but can't remember any modules (of the large cap variety) failing on my own vehicles. I remember several customer vehicles with a failed module though. I read on here a while back that the Napa Echlin TP-55 (going off memory here) was a good one to buy, so that's what I have as spares.

I know we've had the discussion about the paste a few times in the past. I've never had issues with using dielectric grease. However, this last time I was putting a distributor together I decided I'd use the paste... I couldn't find any. Napa was able to dig up a part number for the stuff, but it showed it was unavailable. I wound up at O'Reilly and they didn't have any either, but the guy behind the counter went picking through ignition module boxes until he found one with the heat paste packet in it. He simply gave it to me, lol.

Computer heat sink paste. So,your local computer shop

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Really? What years models are they talking about. My 81 k20 plug gap is specs is .035 .
That article is pretty vague
The .060 is more to do with later HEI, however, I believe oldsmobile/pontiac did some couple years with .060, but it toasted components?
I could be remembering wrong but I think i read a long time ago something about that... lol.

But .060 would be, in my opinion, a lot for a stock HEI on a 1983 to use

But a different design plug, no ribs, di-electric screws on the rotor.... it would be easier than what you currently have.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you are not using a GM module in your HEI distributor then there is a good possibility your dwell time is not correct thru the entire RPM range, which also affects timing. I also use TPI on some engines which uses a small cap HEI, it has no advance built into the distributor it is all controlled by the computer. In this case there is a setting in the chips program that can compensate for the different dwell characteristics of different GM modules that can be installed, its called "Latency compensation". for each different p/n, all GM modules have this offset. Any off-brand module has no information on what to set the "Latency" to, so the dwell/timing advance is corrected. Lots of testing has been done to prove how the dwell/timing advance is affected by just swapping modules without changing the latency.
Use original GM pickup/modules that are for your engine. If you can find one.
TBI cars/trucks and their distributors had backup advance curves built into them , but not sure how similar that would be to those tpi units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84K30dually