Heater core replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwright

Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
New to me, nice 1978 Scottsdale k20 4x4, heater core was leaking, got the new one in but the old insulation material is trashed from the year, rodents and antifreeze, was thinking of using dynamite to insulate before going back with heater housing, would this be an issue with fitment? Old stuff so thick dynamite obviously isn't, any comments or advice. If I didn't have to disassemble the dash I would replace with original firewall insulation, don't wanna go that deep.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
lol….
Not totally understanding. Are you asking about the firewall and floor insulation? If so, dynamat or similar would work just fine. IMO.
Trying to think just did heater core in the 86 last year. It doesn’t go behind the heater box IE between the flanges on the heater box and the firewall as far as I remember so thickness should not be an issue?
Or are you talking the insulation gaskets on the heater box components themselves? For that I used sticky foam tape.

Fat 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
we just replaced one in an OBD. Used some strips cut from an old craftsman draw liner ( thin heigh density foam sheet ). Worked a treat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbecker