Headliner what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohearchai

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well I removed the headliner as the sagging was finally getting to me. No issue getting in down, was thinking of options when I decided I would roughly clean the front one (suburban). Removed the old headliner and foam material, the outside towards the roof had some foam as well. Some bowing but not terrible, is this a sutuable candidate to recover, thoughts.
You must be registered for see images attach

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks good to me! The trim covers up a lot of blemishes around the edges.

I recovered my headliner several years ago. Was a pretty easy job to be honest. I prepped the surface by using a cheap plastic bristle brush to loosen and remove all the crumbling foam on the surface. Blow it off with some compressed air or shopvac it up and the foam is ready for the adhesive. I have some pictures of my recover job on this post here. Your headliner appears to have some damage in the corners where the visors mount. I had similar damage in a corner. I think I repaired mine using some foam core poster board you can get at an office supply place. My pictures don't show this, but if I remember correctly I used some form of epoxy and toothpicks to lock it place.

Go extra large on the material you are using to recover it as it is easy to just fold the excess over behind the foam where it won't be seen. Also stay away from really stretchy fabric as it becomes easy to distort as you lay it out.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
I'm just going to use some fabric I picked up cheap to recover mine after cleaning all the old adhesive and foam off. Seen several folks use fleece blankets and other fabric and looks good.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If I could find one, I think it would be cool to use a thin Pendleton style/pattern to cover one. Mine came without a headliner from the factory but apparently the dude before me lost his sh!t at one point or another and put a couple knuckle dents in the otherwise perfect metal above my head.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Don't go straight material, you will want foam behind it to help hide imperfections. 1/4" minimum.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve got a teenager that lives next door, he’s a great young man.
He recently did his headliner in “Cow Print”….
I had no idea at first what he was talking about but after seeing it I like it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Following. I have a perfect condition headliner board pulled out of the 77. Maybe one of these years my list will dwindle to having time to recover it.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I'll go back and look for the details, but the wife and I ordered some headliner material (with foam) on Amazon (I think) that matched the original color pretty well. Some spray glue and some elbow grease, and it was as good as new!!!

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Best lookin backer I've ever seen!

Forum statistics