Header farts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yep, ya guessed it.
A couple weeks ago, while tooling down the x-way, I heard the new header gasket give up. (Sound change)
I don't think the headers have been on more than a month, with maybe 300 miles on them.
Yea, I know...folks said there would be gasket issues or bolts constantly backing out.
I accept that, because the trade off for a happier motor and cooler bay is worth it.
I just have to find the right combination and I'm willing to tinker with it, to make that happen.
So, if ya "been there - done that" and you found the right combo, share it, please.

Thanks.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I’ve had good luck with Remflex graphite gaskets and the multilayer aluminum “dead soft” gaskets.

As far as bolts go, I’ve used transdapt header bolts and they seem to work fine. They have a reduced diameter head, but nothing special about them, other than likely the cheapest at Summit at the time.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Felpro steel core laminate gaskets and ARPs with the 5/16 head.

I go back and check em after a few heat cycles then once a week for a month or so and then let em go. Never had any issues.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have a couple buddies that swear by the "Stage 8" brand locking header bolts

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Easy. Toss em in the trash and install these. You will wonder how you lived without em.

Attachments

• Hookers.JPG
    Hookers.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 28

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Felpro steel core laminate gaskets and ARPs with the 5/16 head.

I go back and check em after a few heat cycles then once a week for a month or so and then let em go. Never had any issues.
Above is an absolute, recheck recheck recheck.

Suggest applying a small bead of high temp silicone to both sides of the gasket, let it set up for 15-30 minutes, install. Just snug bolts up and come back the next day and tighten. Also, cheap headers usually do not have a thick enough flange. It will warp and gasket can blow out. If the flange is already warped it will never stay sealed in the long run, new headers.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The real lesson here is cheap headers (or expensive headers with thin flanges) suck. Thick flanges don't warp easily which means the gaskets are far less prone to leak. My headers have a 3/8" flange and only recommended high temp RTV, no leaks here.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The real lesson here is cheap headers (or expensive headers with thin flanges) suck. Thick flanges don't warp easily which means the gaskets are far less prone to leak. My headers have a 3/8" flange and only recommended high temp RTV, no leaks here.
I don't use gaskets on cast manifolds but never tried it on headers, interesting. Might try that in the future.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yep, ya guessed it.
A couple weeks ago, while tooling down the x-way, I heard the new header gasket give up. (Sound change)
I don't think the headers have been on more than a month, with maybe 300 miles on them.
Yea, I know...folks said there would be gasket issues or bolts constantly backing out.
I accept that, because the trade off for a happier motor and cooler bay is worth it.
I just have to find the right combination and I'm willing to tinker with it, to make that happen.
So, if ya "been there - done that" and you found the right combo, share it, please.

Thanks.
Remflex for sure. Doesn't really matter on the bolts, just make sure you get ones that you can get a socket on so you can torque them down properly. With the remflex, I have put them on, torqued to the remflex spec, go for a nice long drive, let them cool down and then retorque... done. Never had to touch them again and no leaks... ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy