Gas Gauge issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I had my original sending unit replaced about 3 years ago because I had needle bounce when driving. Everything was fine, at least I thought, until today. I decided to drive my truck around today running as much of the gas out currently in the tank out without running out. I started at 1/2 tank and when I filled it after running around and doing errands ( a total of about 50 miles) the needle was registering at just about 1/8th tank. Went to "fill" my tank and I only had to put 8 1/2 gallons in. I know this is a 15 gallon tank. So if the guage registered 1/8th above empty, shouldn't I have had to put at least 12-13 gallons in my tank before it registered full? Because of how low the gas fill inlet is, I always get some splash back. I was manually holding the trigger and it splashed back. I waited about 15 seconds until things settled and then started pumping again at low volume and again got splash back. I do not!!!! want to take this someplace again and have the tank dropped again. This would explain how I can drive 20 miles and burn over 1/4 tank gas. The gauge is not registering. Is there anyway to calibrate the gas gauge?

Bradsterk3500

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Likely a bad ground at the sensor. Check the input at the gauge and you should have about 90 ohms with a full tank, 0 at empty.
This is great info. My gauge has been wonky ever since I got the truck. I'll do both your suggestions and see what happens

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I thought your truck was a long bed. Never saw a LB with a 16 gal tank. (They are either 16 or 20 only afaik). Did the 8.5 gal peg it at full full?
In the meantime, so you know where you’re at, why not find “empty” then go from there. Pack a jug of gas, run ‘er til she dies and then fill up taking into account what you added from the jug and how far to the gas station. Then run it empty again. Nothing the total miles on that tank. Then you can get a pretty accurate mpg and a miles to empty when you fill up.
Just a suggestion until you figure out your gauge issue.
And fwiw, both my squares 70s and 80s model seem fairly accurate except that there appears to be about 3 gal left when any of the 4 tanks hit E on the gauge and it it stops moving.
From there I can drive quite a ways on E. Think of it as a reserve capacity.
Assuming the gauge cycles fully from F to E as you use a whole tank then you may be chasing something that isn’t wrong. But you won’t know without doing the empty, fill, empty test IMO.
These are old trucks. If the gauges are working that’s a win right there.
Just some suggestions for a workaround or verification.
Fortunately even the good mileage ones ain’t that great so shouldn’t take too long to do the test. And if it’s full or almost full now, top it off and run it dry, track mileage now and measure gallons later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miles 59