Fuel pump pressure problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renfro85

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I recently purchased a 86 K10. Engine was replaced with a goodwrench 350. Everything past the swap is all stock.

Anyway I’ve put about 1k miles on it since purchase. The guy I bought it from said there was a fuel leak. Other than the top of the pump getting a little damp the first time we started it in his garage, I have never seen it leak.

The truck has been hard to start. Maybe having to turn it over for 15-20 seconds before it finally starts.

This past week I swing by school to pick my kids up and it sputters and dies. Restart and make it about 30 yards. Had starting fluid in the truck and would run off the starting fluid.

Finally got time to mess with it today. Poured some gas down the carb. Started up and ran until the bowl ran out. Poured some more and the truck ran until I shut it off. I guess what I’m asking is, are these signs of a bad/going out fuel pump or do I maybe have deeper issues? Both tanks and sending units are new

TLDR
Truck is hard to start cold, once started runs and cranks up fine. Truck died in school parking lot and wouldn’t restart until gas was poured into carb.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Could be a pump going out,probably is a pump going out. Check pump pressure,pump volume,and pump vacuum. Research because I'm going from memory if you put the pump out let in a bottle you should have 4oz in 15 seconds cranking. Pressure should be in 3 to 6 lb range vacuum on the inlet side of the pump should be 15lbs. Again check my numbers. When you have the pump off check pump pushrod stroke should be 3/8th inch,again from memort,check my numbers. The lobe on the cam can wear,not common but it happens, then the pump won't get adequate movement of the pump arm. I doubt that you have a problem but if you find an abnormal reading you can be prepared,because it's going to get worse until it fails.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pump has a vent hole in top housing. Fuel there indicates an internal diaphragm failure.

Many new defective pumps. ONLY buy Delphi, GM or Delco. Any other brand is hit and miss. Also, good idea to run only ethanol free fuel. Multiple reasons for doing so.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Either fuel pump like mentioned. Or it could likely be sucking air before the pump. If it's sucking air before the pump then it will not leak any gas Making it more difficult to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy