Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I somewhat recently installed a 2 inch lift on my 76 K10 a long with 33x12 tires. Not long after lifting, I started hearing this clunking sound that seems to go away when I get up to highway speeds. It's kind of a combination of a clunking and grinding sound and my first thought was something was touching the driveshaft but that's not the case.
I've double-checked every bolt related to the suspension and my wheel bearings on the front are new so it's not that. I've also verified that the tires don't hit anything when driving.
I don't know what else to check and I'm concerned it's only going to get worse and do some actual damage so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I somewhat recently installed a 2 inch lift on my 76 K10 a long with 33x12 tires. Not long after lifting, I started hearing this clunking sound that seems to go away when I get up to highway speeds. It's kind of a combination of a clunking and grinding sound and my first thought was something was touching the driveshaft but that's not the case.
I've double-checked every bolt related to the suspension and my wheel bearings on the front are new so it's not that. I've also verified that the tires don't hit anything when driving.
I don't know what else to check and I'm concerned it's only going to get worse and do some actual damage so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
How new are the wheel bearings? I have a noise in the front end,and I have new front wheel bearings in the same post,puts a red flag on something to do with the front wheel bearings,hubs

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 2 inch on my K20. Is the e-brake cable clear? Mine is really close to the rear driveshaft and the exhaust. Yet another project that I haven't had a chance to work on yet.

Just curious, did you get new brake cables? I just replaced my rear cable but I'm thinking I should've gotten a longer-than-stock cable.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
How new are the wheel bearings? I have a noise in the front end,and I have new front wheel bearings in the same post,puts a red flag on something to do with the front wheel bearings,hubs
I put the wheel bearings in back in May and didn't have any weird noises until a couple weeks ago

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I have a 2 inch on my K20. Is the e-brake cable clear? Mine is really close to the rear driveshaft and the exhaust. Yet another project that I haven't had a chance to work on yet.

Just curious, did you get new brake cables? I just replaced my rear cable but I'm thinking I should've gotten a longer-than-stock cable.
I didn't replace the e brake cable.. I didn't even think to check that!

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I didn't replace the e brake cable.. I didn't even think to check that!
Well, the e-brake cable is just the rear-end probably (I re-read the title).

But also the actual brake rubber hoses may need to be longer. That was my question. I know with a 4" they need to be replaced. I'm not sure with a 2" lift.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

But also the actual brake rubber hoses may need to be longer. That was my question. I know with a 4" they need to be replaced. I'm not sure with a 2" lift.
Hoses that are twisted (think rotating the caliper when its removed) or stretched will apply the brake because it squeezes the fluid inside which, as we know, a hydraulic fluid being acted on will move the thing its designed to actuate

Pushing the pistons outward , even if only a little. In low drag calipers this probably is felt less because of their retraction feature. But in the 1976 without that, its probably amplified

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
U-joint?
Hub left locked in?
The u-joints on the drive shafts seem fine (no play at all) but idk how old they are. I replaced the axle u-joints this spring which is when I replaced the bearings as well.
Also my hubs don't lock

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8

From my research, stock hoses Should be long enough with a 2 inch lift but I've been thinking about replacing them with longer hoses just to play it safe.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hoses that are twisted (think rotating the caliper when its removed) or stretched will apply the brake because it squeezes the fluid inside which, as we know, a hydraulic fluid being acted on will move the thing its designed to actuate

Pushing the pistons outward , even if only a little. In low drag calipers this probably is felt less because of their retraction feature. But in the 1976 without that, its probably amplified
I'll look into this. I've been considering replacing the hoses anyway so I'll probably just put some longer ones on to play it safe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BSabbath