Electric Choke Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisUT

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Apologies if this is a duplicate post; I'm having some issues with my carb and was wondering if anyone could help?

I have a Quadrajet 4 barrel, mounted to a stock intake on an 84 C20 454. I recently replaced the hot-air choke with an electric choke, and since then, almost every time I start the truck, I get wet black spatter shooting from the exhaust pipe, along with some fuel-smelling smoke. Once the engine warms (choke opens very quickly), the smoke clears and the truck runs great. With the hot-air choke, this problem didn't happen. Also, I recently replaced the spark plugs (they were all fouled, very carbon coated). I don't know if the fouling was just since the electric choke was put on, or if it's been running rich for the last 3 years (since engine and carb rebuild). I've tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws, based on RPM, but that didn't seem to help much.

Should I go back to the hot-air choke, or what can be done? I'm not a mechanic, but am comfortable with working on the equipment.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like choke thermostat is either too tight or choke pull-off is bad or misadjusted. Is fast idle adjusted?

Some Q jets have a secondary choke pull-off. if that's the case both pull-offs would need adjusted.

Choke plate should be closed when cold. Within a couple seconds the pull-off should crack it slightly open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmkillgo