Dual axle trailer brakes worth it?? Pic's inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So I only have 1 axle with brakes. Is it worth it to add brakes to the second set of axle. Just asking so I dont throw money away.
If it makes stopping for the trailer and truck easier then cool. But if not, Then Ill pass. I do not have a problem braking with it now.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
What’s your car and truck worth?

In my opinion it’s a no brainer. My first car trailer had brakes on just the front axle, you could tell the brakes were better after adding rear brakes.

I have heard numerous people say Indiana requires brakes on each axle. The story I heard is dealers get around that requirement by buying trailer made in other states for resale. Not sure if that’s true, but it does seem a lot of cheaper trailer have only one axle with brakes.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I have heard numerous people say Indiana requires brakes on each axle. The story I heard is dealers get around that requirement by buying trailer made in other states for resale. Not sure if that’s true, but it does seem a lot of cheaper trailer have only one axle with brakes.
This is correct ^^^ Commonwealth of Pennsylvania requires brakes on all trailer axles, if the weight of the trailer requires brakes.* Sellers do bring in out of state trailer builds. Yes, could be bad for some customers.

* PA. Brakes required on any trailer that weights more than half the weight of the towing vehicle.-- Boy is this open-ended!?!

Any trailer registered >3000 that hauls a load needs a safety inspection. If the trailer is a tool, no safety inspection is needed no matter how heavy it is, but it does need lights and brakes. Crazy!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What’s your car and truck worth?

In my opinion it’s a no brainer. My first car trailer had brakes on just the front axle, you could tell the brakes were better after adding rear brakes.

That's because Indiana roads absolutely suck canal water. Friggin terrible. You need brakes on all wheels because at any given time, half of them may be bouncing up off the pavement, lol.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That's because Indiana roads absolutely suck canal water. Friggin terrible. You need brakes on all wheels because at any given time, half of them may be bouncing up off the pavement, lol.
Indiana must have received a HUGE amount of money for road repairs recently. There is more construction happening now than I can ever recall.

Years ago indiana use to have license plates with a slogan that said”Wander Indiana”. I think it needs to make a return, with all the detours I have seen more back roads and rural highways. It’s gotten so bad I use a GPS to navigate to places I know how to get to. It’s frustrating to find a road under construction that wasn’t not too long ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Indiana must have received a HUGE amount of money for road repairs recently. There is more construction happening now than I can ever recall.

Years ago indiana use to have license plates with a slogan that said”Wander Indiana”. I think it needs to make a return, with all the detours I have seen more back roads and rural highways. It’s gotten so bad I use a GPS to navigate to places I know how to get to. It’s frustrating to find a road under construction that wasn’t not too long ago.

Yeah, but they are still making that very frustrating. US27 in Richmond has been closed for what seems like eternity. They are finally done (mostly) with all that restructuring of the interchanges in Indy, but they switched things up so many times during construction, I will never remember what lane I need to be in now to get where I want. And that stretch of I70 between Indy and the OH state line... my God. 5 years of half-assed patching has made it SO irritating to drive on. Every single time, I swear to myself, "nope, not doing this BS again. I'll drive US40 next time." But I still drive on stupid I70 the next time.

The rest of the sate isn't as bad, but it seems like I'm pissed off no matter where I go in IN. Every time, lol.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Yeah, but they are still making that very frustrating. US27 in Richmond has been closed for what seems like eternity. They are finally done (mostly) with all that restructuring of the interchanges in Indy, but they switched things up so many times during construction, I will never remember what lane I need to be in now to get where I want. And that stretch of I70 between Indy and the OH state line... my God. 5 years of half-assed patching has made it SO irritating to drive on. Every single time, I swear to myself, "nope, not doing this BS again. I'll drive US40 next time." But I still drive on stupid I70 the next time.

The rest of the sate isn't as bad, but it seems like I'm pissed off no matter where I go in IN. Every time, lol.

30 years ago I went to college in Dayton Ohio, I made the Indy to Richmond drive every weekend for 2 years. I70 was under construction then, I don’t think it has ever stopped.

As bad as indiana roads are, there are sections of I69 in Michigan near Lansing that are 10 times worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradley 123