Dome light upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone ever made a replacement dome light housing? Maybe with LEDs?
And I don't mean one of those out of a catelog.
I mean, one that you made from scratch?
Wood, plastic, metal, doesn't matter.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
I bought some LED SMD boards and they worked out amazing. cheap too

L.E.D. dome light upgrade project - check - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

L.E.D. dome light upgrade project - check The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board
67-72chevytrucks.com

I also bent up a light gauge sheet metal bracket that bolted to the bottom of the dash frame where the OE lamp was.. wired the SMD light board with the tape to it and worked out amazing!. Maybe better to put 2 instead of 1.... one on each side of the floor board instead of the OE center

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lately I've just been switching out the standard bulbs with direct replacement LED bulbs. Not so much for a lighting improvement, but mostly to reduce the battery drain when the interior lights are on. I have a habit of pulling up to the shop or into a buddy's place, getting out and simply leaving the door open. Not sure why, I just do.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We used the LED upgrade for dome and left original foot well lights original since I could not find direct replacement LED to fit those sockets. We did add a floor well LED under dash over hump and it totally illuminated the floor and just tapped the power from stock well lights.

Randy and E

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Lately I've just been switching out the standard bulbs with direct replacement LED bulbs. Not so much for a lighting improvement, but mostly to reduce the battery drain when the interior lights are on. I have a habit of pulling up to the shop or into a buddy's place, getting out and simply leaving the door open. Not sure why, I just do.

That, plus they run much cooler than those little tube bulbs. I've nearly lost my fingerprints on those things a few times and they melt the plastic lamp housings.

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
I switched all the interior lights to LED, including the dash lights. They are brighter and run cooler while using less energy, and I'm happy with the results. My only issue was that the dome light in my 81 C20 is a two-terminal bulb (one positive, one negative—it doesn't ground through the housing), so I had to clock the LED bulb correctly, or it wouldn't work.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I installed this LED light as my interior light, it is what is installed as an aftermarket light in police cars. It is also dual color so it can be red for night time. I also put LED bulbs for under the dash to match the white color.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• PXL_20240723_225731652.jpg
    PXL_20240723_225731652.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually