Desperately look for this trim piece

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If anyone is looking to replace theirs, I finally found a suitable replacement. tt is a bit of a PiA to get on but looks nice. Word of advice, use a small rubber mallet to tap onto/over edge. It is Truck/SUV edge trim and I bought it at O'Reillys's. Here are 2 pictures of it on and a picture of the package.
a little smaller than OE but it looks pretty darn good, hopefully it holds up
You must be registered for see images attach

Bad photo but heres an OE one

dirty phgoto but another

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
a little smaller than OE but it looks pretty darn good, hopefully it holds up

Bad photo but heres an OE one

dirty phgoto but another
Yeah, I would definitely prefer a nice OE one, but all the ones I find are in as bad a condition as mine and cracking, cracked or broken. I didn't know if I would like the "replacement", but it looks good and gives back that dressed up hood look.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It was included on all the higher trim level trucks of the time. They were very common, but they all turned to yellow and cracked garbage decades ago. I'll bet that most people these days don't even know that their truck is supposed to have that part.
Well that’s an interesting tidbit, because my truck has one. As you know, mine is very low on options, like three lol. No chrome trim whatsoever, no ac, radio, etc. But, it’s got this chrome piece on the hood….

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well that’s an interesting tidbit, because my truck has one. As you know, mine is very low on options, like three lol. No chrome trim whatsoever, no ac, radio, etc. But, it’s got this chrome piece on the hood….

Lol, I guess that answers my question on whether or not it was available as a separate option. Your truck has more options than you thought... it has FOUR options, haha.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Lol, I guess that answers my question on whether or not it was available as a separate option. Your truck has more options than you thought... it has FOUR options, haha.
It’s a strange one though. Dad was too cheap to buy a radio or AC, he definitely wouldn’t spring for a random piece of chrome that’s useless. I’m thinking more of a mess up at the factory. Maybe that hood wasn’t originally intended for the truck, but it got installed anyway.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s a strange one though. Dad was too cheap to buy a radio or AC, he definitely wouldn’t spring for a random piece of chrome that’s useless. I’m thinking more of a mess up at the factory. Maybe that hood wasn’t originally intended for the truck, but it got installed anyway.

I didn't realize he ordered it. I assumed it was dealer stock ordered. So he ordered it with no AC, but still had it installed later on?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I didn't realize he ordered it. I assumed it was dealer stock ordered. So he ordered it with no AC, but still had it installed later on?
Yea. Like I said, he’s cheap lol. So, the idea was to order a strip down model except for the 350, the gauge package, four wheel drive, dual exhaust, and the big tire package. You know, the essentials. Then add AC, a radio and dome light to save money. He said the funny thing is that he spent almost down to the penny what it would have cost just to order it from the factory. And he said the AC never did work all that well.

I need to emphasize, for the majority here that my truck has nothing other than what’s listed above. No headliner, no factory dome light, no cigar lighter, no radio, no ac, and no trim. It has the 350, 4 speed transmission, and a folding seat back. Dual exhaust, gauges, and the 10.00x15 Goodyear AT tires on the 8” wide steel wheels.

SO, that’s where the mystery comes in of why the heck it has this single strip of chrome on the hood lol. And it’s the original hood to the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The trim of the truck

GMC sierra Grande is my truck, that is what gave it the same thing. Its bare bones

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The trim of the truck

GMC sierra Grande is my truck, that is what gave it the same thing. Its bare bones
Interesting. Mines a custom deluxe. Strange that it has this strip, the only other chrome is the grill and headlight surrounds. Just seems random.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy