Daughters ‘87 needs to ride smooth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Here are some things to try:

Let some air out of the tires - Definitely make sure you're not running at the sidewall rated max PSI
Run a 'P' series tire instead of an 'LT' 6 ply tire
Run a 15" tire/wheel with tall sidewall instead of a low profile
Softer spring rate
Use bonded rubber (cleveite type) bushings instead of polyurethane in your steering and suspension

In the Jeep word we see people switch to 8 and 10 ply rated MT tires which are WAY too stiff when ran at Jeeps recommended tire pressure, it makes a new jeep ride like a tank. I think I run my jeep tires at like 26 PSI instead of the 43 PSI listed in the door jamb.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
What Bloodhound said. It's a old truck. Yes you could do coil overs front and rear, adjust it any way you want, or, do full air or hydraulic conversion. You would probably be around 10k, parts and labor.
So, first thing, is that it in your picture? If so, throw away those nasty heavy tires.Tall, narrow, soft low pressure tires are best for ride, Yes, car tires.
Then consider a older truck. 72 and before, c10, 2wd, long beds, coil springs front and rear, little weight in bed and those things rode awesome.
Or just buy her a Contigo no spill, no drip coffee mug-----
I think Bloodhound had a good answer. It rides like a dream (baby nightmare) with a load in the bed. She doesn’t haul anything with this truck. Guess if she wants it, new leaf springs and a few bags of concrete. Because of course, she wants the stock 16 slot wheels and beauty rings. On A/T tires. Oh well, thanks!

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
I mean yeah, those fancy suspension kits are great and all but that's not really a necessity to get it to ride good. My truck is 5/8 on 20s and low pros and rides damn good for what it is. Nothing spills (as long as it's not super full) in the cupholders and I run this thing cross country on all kinds of roads, good and horrible.

So let's break this down for more detail. How many miles are on the truck (or you think are on the truck)? Is it stock height? What tires are you running (size and load rating details please)? What makes you think the springs and leafs need to be replaced? How about throwing up a picture of the truck to help.
It’s an old work truck. Miles are non relevant. Bought used with no idea how many times it rolled over. I’m thinking 190k at least. Tires are 33x50x15(?) close anyway on 15in stock wheels. My profile is truck but I’ll try to upload the $hitbox it is. It is her daily now but doesnt travel further than 50mi a day. Everything suspension is stock, hell, everything is stock. Nothing appears replaced accept the front end that we did when we purchased and we didnt do the coil springs. Didnt think they absolutely needed to be changed. I’ve changed my mind. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpeg
    IMG_1743.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9463.jpeg
    IMG_9463.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9445.jpeg
    IMG_9445.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Robert Bare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Well, if you are hitting the bump stops often, then is time. if not, the "worn" springs will ride softer than new ones. Moog has several springs for the front, you may want to research and get the lightest rated ones.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Well, if you are hitting the bump stops often, then is time. if not, the "worn" springs will ride softer than new ones. Moog has several springs for the front, you may want to research and get the lightest rated ones.
I didn’t see where he said it’s hitting the bump stops. Yes that would mean the springs are soft, not harsh.
Since 87 half tons didn’t come with big blocks it couldn’t have “big block” (stiffer) front springs unless it was originally a 6.2 truck.
Base don the OPs description this sounds like a stock small block truck though.
That said, I’ve never put 1/2 ton squarebodys in the category of stif riding vehicles. They’re pretty plush and IMO not much/any harsher than today’s crop of half tons.
Either there’s some somewhat unrealistic expectations that it should ride like a 77 Cadillac or there’s too much air in the tires.
Those look like 31-10.5-15 tires.
For those tires and that truck which weighs about 2600-2800 front and 1600lbs rear, curb weight, 25 psi is adequate for full load in front and 15-20 psi rear. Knowing 15-20psi is arguably too low for highway driving, 25psi at all 4 corners or 30psi up front…MAX for best handling.
My 78 (bout the same weight) with the old 235-75-15s was comfortable at 25F/20R, empty truck. Handling was slightly squishy at those pressures but plush. Those tires have a slightly higher load rating per psi than 31-10.50-15s.

What tire pressures are you currently running?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
OP still didn't address how big the rear leaf packs are. But looking at those pictures, I'd point the blame toward the tires. Those are way too big and I'd put money on them being load range E (10-ply) which is completely unnecessary on one of these half tons.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
You must be registered for see images attach

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I would look at replacing the control arm bushings. If not done already. You might be riding metal on metal. I would look at a hydraulic shocks , not a gas filled ones. Tires with a decent sized side wall. In the rear again look at the spring bushings they are more than likely dry rotted. A few sandbags in the bed or they sell weight bags, The weight believe or not helps with the ride. I don't see spring isolators listed for the front springs.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
OP still didn't address how big the rear leaf packs are. But looking at those pictures, I'd point the blame toward the tires. Those are way too big and I'd put money on them being load range E (10-ply) which is completely unnecessary on one of these half tons.
Just realized OP said 33-12.50s. I was assuming 31s. That would drop the “comfortable” psi even lower. I don’t think they make that size in D or E load tires, as I recall HD trucks never had 15” wheels.
Regardless, big ole tires like that on a relatively light vehicle, it don’t take a lot of air to support the weight.
Example, 31-10.5-15 on my CJ5 6 cyl, I run 20F and about 15R. Any more and they’re like rocks, I’d run less, on rough trails. IMO much less than maybe 12psi is a risk without beadlocks.
Even the 86K20, big block with those big ole heavy stiff 35” Grabbers, I’m at about 30F/20R for comfort. (It’s still not comfortable with rough country front springs and C6P rears….lol)
Ram crew cab Cummins on 37s. Front 40 summer/35 winter. Rear 30 summer/25 winter but run the rear up to 30/35 when pulling 28’ snomachine trailer.

If the OP is already running low tire pressure then it’s probably just not going to get better unless Take some leafs out the back (reverse level it) and maybe find softer coils? Or some more foam for the seat?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I would look at replacing the control arm bushings. If not done already. You might be riding metal on metal. I would look at a hydraulic shocks , not a gas filled ones. Tires with a decent sized side wall. In the rear again look at the spring bushings they are more than likely dry rotted. A few sandbags in the bed or they sell weight bags, The weight believe or not helps with the ride. I don't see spring isolators listed for the front springs.
True story. Binding control arm bushings or leaf spring bushings can effectively increase spring rate resulting in a harsher ride.

Nice lookin truck though! Classic black Chevy!

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
A good resource for tire inflation is here. Good general info, possible you might find the chart specific for your tires but the general is close enough. Advice on control arm bushings is good too, and I'll add that some soft rear springs with some helper airbags might be a good combo. If there's onboard air, she can adjust easily for hauling furniture for college friends and release to get back to soft riding. And could probably be set up for inflating tires if she's seriously hauling something, otherwise drop them way down as noted above.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abearsfan