Correcting uneven suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I was going to suggest different spring rates even though they were new. Then they were actually different height, perhaps different rate as well. Hopefully the new one correct it.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was going to suggest different spring rates even though they were new. Then they were actually different height, perhaps different rate as well. Hopefully the new one correct it.
They're actually sending me a new pair :oops:. I think the lower one was bad, and it was a combination of height and spring rate.

Blazerbiker

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5, actually a Jimmy since it's a GMC
Engine Size
504in
If you needed 1/2" of shim to get it level and the spring was only short by 3/16", you're still going to have a problem. I don't think you've solved it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you needed 1/2" of shim to get it level and the spring was only short by 3/16", you're still going to have a problem. I don't think you've solved it.

That was 3/16" with it unloaded. The difference when loaded could have been greater. Also, any given amount at the spring will be a little greater at the wheel.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just got back from vacation and they sent me the wrong springs, they sent springs for a 72 body :banghead: . Can't call until tomorrow.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My springs should be to me tomorrow, and hopefully they're the correct springs this time. But it occurred to me that I have the HD ORD bushings in my springs, which IIRC have bigger holes so I have to use the ORD bushings now. I haven't tried yet, I will tonight, but has anyone successfully removed the bushings from the springs? Or should I not even try and just order a new set of the rubber bushings from ORD?

Edit: I might be OK. I just looked up the ORD bushings and they aren't necessarily HD, just greaseable with kevlar bushings. Skyjacker sent me new bushings for the wrong springs they sent, they did not send new bushings for the correct springs I should be getting tomorrow (I know, this is getting confusing lol). But, looking at ORD's site, the bushings appear to be the same for 67-91 Chevy Skyjacker springs, so the bushings they sent me for the wrong springs should work in the springs I'll hopefully be getting tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My springs should be to me tomorrow, and hopefully they're the correct springs this time. But it occurred to me that I have the HD ORD bushings in my springs, which IIRC have bigger holes so I have to use the ORD bushings now. I haven't tried yet, I will tonight, but has anyone successfully removed the bushings from the springs? Or should I not even try and just order a new set of the rubber bushings from ORD?

Edit: I might be OK. I just looked up the ORD bushings and they aren't necessarily HD, just greaseable with kevlar bushings. Skyjacker sent me new bushings for the wrong springs they sent, they did not send new bushings for the correct springs I should be getting tomorrow (I know, this is getting confusing lol). But, looking at ORD's site, the bushings appear to be the same for 67-91 Chevy Skyjacker springs, so the bushings they sent me for the wrong springs should work in the springs I'll hopefully be getting tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

The newer ones are some fancy Kevlar material, but the older ones are not. Iirc, the rear bushing bolt increased in size in '87/'88 and that's the size ORD uses with their bushings and HD shackles. This is just off memory, so I could be incorrect.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The newer ones are some fancy Kevlar material, but the older ones are not. Iirc, the rear bushing bolt increased in size in '87/'88 and that's the size ORD uses with their bushings and HD shackles. This is just off memory, so I could be incorrect.
Thanks. I was worried for nothing, the bushings popped right out

You must be registered for see images attach

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New springs made a HUGE difference. It was 3/4", now it's roughly 3/16". Also sand blasted and painted the front diff while I had it out. Grenading the diff sucked, but in the end I now have a TrueTrac and my truck doesn't sit like it has a flat tire anymore. Calling it a win :cool:

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New springs made a HUGE difference. It was 3/4", now it's roughly 3/16". Also sand blasted and painted the front diff while I had it out. Grenading the diff sucked, but in the end I now have a TrueTrac and my truck doesn't sit like it has a flat tire anymore. Calling it a win :cool:

awesome color by the way....

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
^^^^^^^^Nice eye @bucket .....which one did you use???.....lol...^^^^^^^

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haha, it's actually Toyota Inferno, IIRC it was a 2016 color. My camera is terrible at catching it under my LED shop lights, in the son it's a shade more red with a good bit of metallic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybest