Brush Guard, watchu tink?

Leave the grate, or cut it out of the brush guard?

• Grate

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No grate

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I got the brush guard mounted over the winter, and finally got the truck outside for a picture. It was certainly worth the modest investment.

You must be registered for see images attach
it does help intimidate those slow Ohians/Michiginians to get the arse out of the fast lane :D

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I should post a little more info for anyone still following along, or maybe someone in the future. Some lessons learned, if you will...

First, the outer front bumper brackets will not mount to the frame with the bumper installed. My truck was missing the outer brackets when I bought it, but I sourced some used ones last year and installed them in combination with the brush guard. The front bumper must come off to get those outer brackets on to the frame. This was the simple/obvious lesson.

Second, I should've rotated the cage nuts 90 degrees in the brush guard to prevent them from getting knocked out of position. While jimmying the brush guard up and down to find the threads with the mounting bolt, one of the steel tabs that retain the cage nut in the brush guard got unclipped. This happened because I initially had the steel tabs on the cage nuts above and below the square opening in the brush guard. If the steel retaining tabs were on the left and right sides of the opening, my cage nuts would've stayed put through the assembly process. I did have to rotate them all so the retainer clips were oriented vertically.

It wasn't as straight forward as I anticipated; a lot of messing around and hand bending those cage nut retainer clips. The challenges were multiplied by the lack of clearance behind the upper cage nuts in the brush guard. I can't recall the correct length mounting bolts, but it required a second trip to the hardware store because an extra 1/2" (or maybe 1/4") of threads was too much and caused the bolt to bottom out before it was tight.

Hopefully this educates somebody.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
it does help intimidate those slow Ohians/Michiginians to get the arse out of the fast lane :D
Usually my old Chevys do pretty good clearing traffic. It'll be interesting to see if the brush guard on the K20 helps even more.

It's a real shame riding/driving with my wife in her Civic. That poor car gets no respect in the fast lane.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
People generally always respect my area when I'm in my lifted burb. I get cut off wayyyyy less lolol. the truck douches get less offended too haha. Try driving a modded mini truck in a lifted 4wd town and see how many truck douches get "angry" at you lol

legozombie

Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350 v8
Just installed a Luverne brush guard on my truck. It only had two of the original 7/16"-14 cage nuts. I kept those on the top of the pillars and used a 7/16"-14 1-1/4" bolt for the cage nuts with a snap ring and washer. Since the bottom of the pillars did not have cage nuts I used 1/2" 1-1/2"bolts with snap rings and a 1/2" flange nut and washer on the inside part of the pillar. I also used Cowles 3/8 edge trim to cushion the contact between the guard and bumper.

I can't find any information online about the brush guard itself but the model is Luverne A41690. If anyone has any questions let me know! I had to jerry rig this since the guy who sold it didn't realize it was missing hardware. I drove 2.5 hours there and 2.5 hours back to pick it up for $150. PITA but oh well.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
People generally always respect my area when I'm in my lifted burb. I get cut off wayyyyy less lolol. the truck douches get less offended too haha. Try driving a modded mini truck in a lifted 4wd town and see how many truck douches get "angry" at you lol
In Houston that works to a degree. There's still some idiots that'll pull out in front of you....
But Rawhide is a bit intimidating.
No idea what brand, came with the truck. I have two similar ones in the shop, neither entirely complete. Got one at the U Pull And Pay a couple years ago on 50% off day, paid around $25 for it. The other one came from a friend on gmt400.com who bought a dually and didn't want it on his truck. He's going for more of a lowered beater look....
Does get in the way some when doing repairs, but also a good place to brace yourself on the front of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20221222_080625817~2.jpg
    IMG_20221222_080625817~2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221112_112002153_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221112_112002153_HDR.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 9

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I just cut mine up today LOL

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
In Houston that works to a degree. There's still some idiots that'll pull out in front of you....
No idea what brand, came with the truck. I have two similar ones in the shop, neither entirely complete. Got one at the U Pull And Pay a couple years ago on 50% off day, paid around $25 for it. The other one came from a friend on gmt400.com who bought a dually and didn't want it on his truck. He's going for more of a lowered beater look....
Does get in the way some when doing repairs, but also a good place to brace yourself on the front of the truck.
If someone does pull out in front of me, they get scared or worried and start speeding up instantly lol. I'm more partial to the flat bar and square tube guards. But the round tube ones do look good too.

I'm a little bit of an accessory guy. So brush guards are always up my alley haha

legozombie

Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350 v8
Used to live in Pearland and yeah, I picked up a lot of bad driving habits out of necessity just to make my exits and lane switches. Houston is full of drivers that, quite frankly, don't care. That's why there's always accidents all day, every day, on every major road/highway.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Just installed a Luverne brush guard on my truck. It only had two of the original 7/16"-14 cage nuts. I kept those on the top of the pillars and used a 7/16"-14 1-1/4" bolt for the cage nuts with a snap ring and washer. Since the bottom of the pillars did not have cage nuts I used 1/2" 1-1/2"bolts with snap rings and a 1/2" flange nut and washer on the inside part of the pillar. I also used Cowles 3/8 edge trim to cushion the contact between the guard and bumper.

I can't find any information online about the brush guard itself but the model is Luverne A41690. If anyone has any questions let me know! I had to jerry rig this since the guy who sold it didn't realize it was missing hardware. I drove 2.5 hours to pick it up for $150. PITA but oh well.

Worth it.
Thanks for posting the part number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MangoMotor