Brake light grounding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papapavs1

Reaction score
First Name
avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hello, 1978 GMC K25 fleetside. After doing quite a bit of work to the truck, I now have no brake lights. I did a new ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder, and had the box pulled a few feet back for paint. All lights worked fine before this. Tails and Turn signals still work fine. I jumped the brake switch and I have 12v back to the socket. I cleaned up the ground behind the drivers light housing, and even added a ground from the box to the frame, still to no avail. I also unplugged the rear wire harness at the firewall and ran 12v straight from the battery to it to eliminate it possibly being a turn signal assembly issue. Reviewing wire diagrams shows that the ground behind the drivers side housing is the only ground for the lights back there

Tom Weeks

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hello, 1978 GMC K25 fleetside. After doing quite a bit of work to the truck, I now have no brake lights. I did a new ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder, and had the box pulled a few feet back for paint. All lights worked fine before this. Tails and Turn signals still work fine. I jumped the brake switch and I have 12v back to the socket. I cleaned up the ground behind the drivers light housing, and even added a ground from the box to the frame, still to no avail. I also unplugged the rear wire harness at the firewall and ran 12v straight from the battery to it to eliminate it possibly being a turn signal assembly issue. Reviewing wire diagrams shows that the ground behind the drivers side housing is the only ground for the lights back there

Tom Weeks

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Tray cycling your four way flashers sometimes the switch gets pushed part way in.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's not a ground if tail and turn work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spanky74