Biggest jobs you have completed in the shortest amount of time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
About 25 years ago we were wheeling my '80 SB out at Uwharrie and the trans burned up. Yanked off the trail & into the campsite about 7PM. Pulled the tranny & had running again when the Ranger came by at 10PM to remind us of "quiet time". Now...who's gonna ask me why I carried a spare tranny with me???
Thats Nascar status!
So...
You knew she was gonna go sometime?
You had it fir your buddy's truck?
Umm you were going to sell it but needed it instead?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
About 25 years ago we were wheeling my '80 SB out at Uwharrie and the trans burned up. Yanked off the trail & into the campsite about 7PM. Pulled the tranny & had running again when the Ranger came by at 10PM to remind us of "quiet time". Now...who's gonna ask me why I carried a spare tranny with me???
I'm not going to ask, I used to carry a spare transmission also.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I sure hope you mean transmission...

But either way it's okay. We don't judge or kink shame here!

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
not the fastest thing i ever done, but lifted the wife's tacoma last weekend in a little over 3 hrs.
mind ya, the new 1200 ft lb impact i just bought sure made things go faster and life a lot easier...

You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Thats Nascar status!
So...
You knew she was gonna go sometime?
You had it fir your buddy's truck?
Umm you were going to sell it but needed it instead?
I built the truck from spare parts & it was the first excursion for it. The tranny had acted goofy a time before so I carried another tranny along with axle shafts & joints.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I sure hope you mean transmission...

But either way it's okay. We don't judge or kink shame here!
Straight Hetero here. That's how I got my wives & children. Quit throwing shots at me Fishbone! Go rub on that gorgeous '87 of yours!

HS

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
6-1/2 years ago I heard a weird noise coming from my truck. Two years later it was mostly resolved. I just replaced everything that moved or rotated on the truck and voila, it was gone!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I built the truck from spare parts & it was the first excursion for it. The tranny had acted goofy a time before so I carried another tranny along with axle shafts & joints.
Reminds me of my younger days!
When life was mostly about Gasoline, beer and trucks.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I'll start this by reminding you guys that I consider myself a shade tree mechanic. I have done a few things to my truck but none on the level of some of the feats listed here, however, I am very satisfied when I can complete an upgrade/repair that I have never done before. About 6 months after I bought my truck I got in it on a hot a$$ day to go down the street and borrow my friends 30 ft. ladder so I could spray out my gutters. Tried rolling the window down and it would only go about 5 inches and made a horrible squeeling staggering noise. Power motor was toast. I could get it to go back up wich was a releif. I found a Doorman OEM at an O'Reilly's. I also had an oil pressure gauge that was just sitting at 25 constantly and I found a sending unit at another O'Reilly's and I let this sit in my garage for a week or so. For some reason I found myself determined to knock these two things out one day after work before my son's baseball game:
Got home at 2:30 directly to the garage. Taped up the drivers window with painters tape over the top of the door. Unhooked the battery. Popped the card off interior door and just knew I was going to figure out replacing the old. Pulled it out, finally, unhooked the old installed the new to the regulator and lubed it up on all moving parts I could find with some NAPA Lith-Ease white lithium grease. Finagled it back in without pinching my arm off. Reconnected the power, put the door card and arm rest assembly all back on. Got under the truck found the OP sending unit disconnected from the guage wire unscrewed the old, taped up the threads on the new bolted it in reconnected the wire and the battery. Cranked her up and immediately was excited AH to see the OP guage jump to 40 PSI and loved having the convenience of rolling the drivers side window down on the way to my son's ball game. Made it on time for first pitch at 5:30.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
6-1/2 years ago I heard a weird noise coming from my truck. Two years later it was mostly resolved. I just replaced everything that moved or rotated on the truck and voila, it was gone!
Right after you WASHED it!!!!!!

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I tried to think of a situation but I don’t have one. Lots of stories that would be “smallest jobs that took the longest time” tho.

I have a feeling I’ve spent more time recovering lost hardware/tools on “small” jobs than I have performing actual “small” job in question when things don’t quite go according to schedule.

Things like sheared/rounded bolts and stripped holes have added a lot of grief on otherwise easy jobs as well, especially when it happens in places where there isn’t much room to use extraction tools or a tap. Buggered Phillips head screws are also often the bane of my existence.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
My school friend, had a 64 nove with 4:56 gears. Each evening the State patrol would park at the feed store, everybody with fast cars knew this. Anyway Rob and I pulled up to the feed store, and laid one down, and the chase was on. That Stater could drive, but so could Robbie, that 283 was buzzin 8500 rpm. Fast trip home, pulled right under the engine tree, pulled the engine and had it setting on the ground when the stater pulled up the drive, and walked over to us. Short version, we did not get a free ride in a cop car, though the officer knew it was us, probably becauce the engine was hot, and ticking.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My school friend, had a 64 nove with 4:56 gears. Each evening the State patrol would park at the feed store, everybody with fast cars knew this. Anyway Rob and I pulled up to the feed store, and laid one down, and the chase was on. That Stater could drive, but so could Robbie, that 283 was buzzin 8500 rpm. Fast trip home, pulled right under the engine tree, pulled the engine and had it setting on the ground when the stater pulled up the drive, and walked over to us. Short version, we did not get a free ride in a cop car, though the officer knew it was us, probably becauce the engine was hot, and ticking.
That's bad A$$

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
One night after work I swapped V8 engines from one Dodge Ramcharger to the other. In my apartment complex parking lot, in the dark, by myself with a rented engine hoist. (I was in my late 20's) The donor truck just got the other engine slapped back in half assed with a few bolts to keep it from falling out when it was to be towed away. The "patient" vehicle was completely buttoned up and running. Took me about 4 hours total. And back to work the next morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indyrenegade